Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Starting to sight read & ear train

Lightbulb Starting to sight read & ear train

hey guys,
    i joined the forum only moments back. I was wondering, is there anybody here that plays guitar, or any instrument for that matter, who is just starting to sight read & ear train?
    well, as for me i started them both a while back but then there was a long gap and all was lost, sigh. . anyway, i'm looking to get back into it. the main problem back then was that i didn't have anybody to share my experience with. i was doing it all by myself. so, after a while i kinda lost the drive. but that was almost a year back. i'm looking to start afresh. and this time i don't intend on holding back. it'd be great if i found a few people on this forum to do it with. for those of you interested, i happen to be using david lucas burge's relative pitch course(highly recommended) & berklee's modern method series (i'm at the start of them both).
    i hope to get some feedback on this, even if some of you are slightly ahead(or way ahead for that matter) .
    thanks in advance,
    bardhan.

(i wish to be updating this thread as and when i make progress, and hope you guys will too)
    Last edited by bardhan; 09-08-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Sounds like you are committed and both of those systems have merit. I'll speak of flash cards for practicing your sight reading. Flash cards cost about $4 a pack and can be taken with you or scattered around in places you normally have a few moments to spare for study. After instant recognition happens then where the note is on your instrument comes next. For this I recommend you move to actual sheet music for this stage. And keep a sheet music book handy so you can read scores in your spare time.

Ear training, I'm not your best source as I advicate the hunt and peck method until your ears know where the next note is on your instrument as taught on the keyboard, aka PianoMagic.com.

hey,

thanks for the reply Malcolm. actually I've been using flash cards for a week now. it's a great way work on these things.
    and, as for the ear training, well i'm pretty comfortable with my progress. just got done with a marathon 3 hour session. i know i shouldn't be stretching it that far. but, i'm lucky that my ears don't get fatigued. i guess i'll take advantage of that fact for as long as i can.