Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Poor guitar playin fools.....

Poor guitar playin fools.....

The violin is obviously the very best instrument there is. I use my warlock as a music stand now with violin concerto sheet music attached to the headstock. I will never touch a guitar again even though I still like Yngwie.

The violin is difficult but it is VERY exagerated by people who do not understand it and pros who dont want alot of competition. You get alot of attention if you are the only one in your neighborhood that plays violin.

The bow is very easy slow and fast except string changing with the shoulder is tricky to learn. And it isnt hard to find the notes when you have positions you can feel without looking and you dont need to play often in between. And a 7 string vi??? (no gear talk) made by Ma?? Wo?? can sound exactly like a guitar or violin. And the bow is alot like distortion even unplugged and the vibrato is very fun. And fifth intervals is very fast and incredible wide intervals and 3 or 4 note chords sound really cool but you cant sustain them like guitar.

But it is hard. I dont think I could have done it untill now. You have to listen closely for intonation.

And it is very easy too make a solid body violin with a headphone attached to the bridge as a pickup. But Im not allowed to talk much about that. + a stick, fishing line, and some hard pine sap... Its all really cheap.

Not to mention all the chords you can play on the violin.

Most people don't know, but real Blues was originally done on the violin with a bottleneck slide.

every instrument has good points and bad ones, good times to play and bad ones, good emotions they match well and less good ones.

but the very best instrument there is, is the piano/keyboard by far.

if you plug it into a soft synth you can play violin sounds with it. chorales, drums, any instrument. and with pedals and mod wheels you can even emulate certain nuances you might get from the control you could have with a violin. it won't be as good obviously as a violin either in controls and versatility for emulating a violin, or in sound. but still it can do all that. and in fact could do two instruments at once, and you could play 10 notes at once on it.

chords with like 6 octaves of interval betwen some notes.

the violin is nice, but the piano/keyboard imo is better.

I personally prefer the guitar too, but that's just a tone preference and style thing.

but good, please love the violin and thank you for that. the more the merrier, because that way if i want to play with a violin i'll be able to find a violinist.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
    Not to mention all the chords you can play on the violin.
    Right!
    In fact, of course, the violin can be improved, by making it bigger, flattening out the neck a little, adding a couple more strings... maybe adding frets...

Man, then you have a real killer violin! WAY better than a guitar!

Most people don't know, but real Blues was originally done on the violin with a bottleneck slide.
    Indeed.
    If only Jimi and all those deluded fools in the 60s knew that, think how much better rock music would have been!
    No wonder all those rock stars failed to make any money, or get any girls... let alone make any great music at all. They were too busy playing those dumb guitar things! Duh!

I hate guitars.

Nowadays I just stick my fingers into the back of my valve amp and wiggle them around. Makes me real popular with the girls.

Theres nothing like real hands-on control over your sound. They say tone is "all in the hands" and I now couldn't agree more.

My next project is a new earbud which connects to a standard jack cable. This will allow direct manipulation of the amp through my brain.

etc.
    "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar"

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JonR View Post
    Right!
    In fact, of course, the violin can be improved, by making it bigger, flattening out the neck a little, adding a couple more strings... maybe adding frets...

Man, then you have a real killer violin! WAY better than a guitar!

Indeed.
    If only Jimi and all those deluded fools in the 60s knew that, think how much better rock music would have been!
    No wonder all those rock stars failed to make any money, or get any girls... let alone make any great music at all. They were too busy playing those dumb guitar things! Duh!
    ya, i like those improvements on the violin that seems like it would be cool someone should make one of those. i'd buy one. except i couldn't see myself ever using a bow with it, if they drop that, then i'm sold on it.

Of course you could play the guitar with a violin like the guy in Spinal Tap.

Quote Originally Posted by JonR View Post
    I'm actually in that category, I just keep playing and playing and playing and playing.

Of course you could play the guitar with a violin like the guy in Spinal Tap.
    That movie is hilarious!! LOL
    Last edited by All_Ľour_Bass; 11-04-2009 at 08:04 AM.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chim_Chim
    Be different.

Do it for the OATMEAL.

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerpikingood View Post
    ya, i like those improvements on the violin that seems like it would be cool someone should make one of those. i'd buy one. except i couldn't see myself ever using a bow with it, if they drop that, then i'm sold on it.
    With something that you can put in a pocket. Piece of plastic. Triangle shape?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesking View Post
    My next project is a new earbud which connects to a standard jack cable. This will allow direct manipulation of the amp through my brain.
    This has been done.

Direct control of an amp through your brain, also known as "singing", was the first instrument ever made. It's by far the best instrument- even though the idea of a "best" instrument is kinda silly as they all have their own voices...
    My guitar tuition website: Hidden Content

Smile

Those were funny replies. I like the one about sticking your fingers in the back of the amp and wiggling them. Maybe I was too rude but violin is very fun. And making them is fun too.

violin1.jpg

Violin2.jpg
    Last edited by AndyPollow; 11-15-2009 at 08:09 PM.

^ I want one!! Most awesome Violin EVER!!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chim_Chim
    Be different.

Do it for the OATMEAL.

That's a very cool looking instrument! Not sure If I would want to call it a violin though.
    Maybe a fretless neck axe xD

I would love to hear how it sounds. Guessing it would sound something along the lines of Pat Metheny's synth trumpet/violin effect.

I might get sued if I sell them. Youll have to make your own.

It is alot like a guitar. Its tuned EBF#C# one octave above the guitar and it sounds like a guitar with distortion. And like a violin without. I like both. And I use 5ths and inverted 5ths for a heavy power chord tone - Im learning "Queen of the Riech" right now. Dream Theater soon. I always thought they should have had violin on Images and Words - it fits real good.

First you must learn to focus only on your belly button - then your subconciouse mind will learn to move the bow.