Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Gb Major Scale Question

Gb Major Scale Question

Hi gang,

I am in the process of studying scales and modes and have a question regarding the Gb major scale.

The scale is Gb-Ab-Bb-Cb-Db-Eb-F. Now if I were to follow the W-W-H-W-W-W-H then this doesn't make sense.

Bb-Cb is a whole step but B to C can only be a half step so wouldn't that make the scale Bb-C?

I hope I am making sense here and not causing everyone to go cross eyed. From what I learned E to F and B to C can only be half steps, therefore the Gb scale is wrong in my eyes.

Is there something I am not seeing here or is there an exception to the rule?

Thanks in advance!

Vai Fan
    Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny. - Frank Zappa

Hey ...

There's no exception. Gb major is no different from any other major scale. W W H W W W H

The mistake you made is an easy one to make first time around.

You said:

"Bb to Cb is a whole step"

Nope, it isn't. It's a half step. It's like musical sleight of hand. Remember B to C is a half step. Cb is the same as (enharmonic with) B!

Bb to B is a half step.

You run into the same thing in the sharp keys with E# and F#. E# to F# is also a half step.

Doug.

Thanks!

Man!

Why didn't I see that. If I would have sat and thought about it long enough I probably would have realized what was going on.

Tomorrow morning! LOL!

Thanks for the help my friend. It was much appreciated.

Vai Fan
    Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny. - Frank Zappa