Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Want to start playing jazz

Want to start playing jazz

I got a bit into jazz some time earlier, and I wanna be able to play some now

From what I've gathered, jazz is one of the more complex music genres to play, and I was wondering where I should start (other than listening to it, of course) . I know my circle of fifths, majour/minor scales, triads and their inversions, and intervals and their inversions pretty well, and I'm starting to dig into modes.

Any lesson suggestions? Or tips on jazz itself? Thanks a lot.

Mod
    not trying to take away from Ibreathemusic.com , but www.jazz-primer.com is a good place.

Try by Jody Fisher
    Beginning Jazz Guitar
    Intermediate Jazz Guitar
    Mastering Chord Melody
    Mastering Improvisation
    by Jody Fisher

Great books with CD

Hey Cozimnot:

I strongly (STRONGLY) reccommend Jamey Aebersold books... Anyone Can Improvise, Maiden Voyage and Nothing But Blues are all good starters. These are backing tracks books (with superb jazz players... some of the aebersold cds actually feature the playing of jazz legends-- ron carter, ray brown, kenny barron, etc.) with some instruction material.

Download Aebersold's free "Jazz players handbook" at JAbooks dot com (I think that's the URL... google for Jamey Aebersold.)

Also, if you aren't comfortable with standard notation get to where you can read it at least a little. Standard notation is a resource jazz musicians make use of frequently, (especially in educational material).

A difference between competent amateur rock musicians and competent amateur jazz musicians -- is the rock musicians can get away with rather poor listening skills. The jazzers, even at a fairly beginner level, can't. If you are a rocker you'll probably have to learn how to listen better... that's why I so strongly reccommend the play along cds.

Good luck

Doug.

Doug,

thanks for the great link. Currently I'm busy downloading the Jazz Player's Handbook. Gonna take a good look.

cozimnot,

you might find this thread interesting. It contains the link to yet another Jazz manual in pdf.

Jazz book

I personally trust the documents done in this format. Don't know why but it's kinda quality certificate for me.

Zatz.
    Last edited by Zatz; 07-26-2003 at 11:25 PM.

I already ordered the free jazz book by Aebersold. It should be comming in the mail by now. Thanks a lot for the help!

thanks

hey thanks for the Jamey Aebersold info. i ordered the jazz handbook too.
    Guitars Only blog http://u.bb/116565/guitarsonly