Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Websites for musicians

Websites for musicians

hello,

I'm looking to purchase a website (domain, URL or whatever) to promote myself as a musician (obviously needs plenty of space for pics, compositions etc) but im not sure what would be best or how to go about it :S do you just simply buy a website or is there more too it?

Cheers,
    Sean

well, one way to go is to just buy a domain, but then you need to build your webpage yourself, or pay someone to do it. building it yourself is medium difficult depending on what you want it to be like. but honestly, i wouldn't suggest you go that route.

probably the best thing you could do is hookup a myspace website. these are basically presets you can use to post stuff up there, they are basically designed for this. lots of musicians and lots of other people for promotion or just for leisure or networking have myspace pages.

i don't have one yet myself, so i'm not sure about server space for posting videos or music links, but there are sites you can go to where they allow you to upload files if ever you don't have the space.

you can put videos up on youtube too for example, and you can link those to your myspace, or i'm pretty sure youtube has a similar deal to myspace where you can have your own website hosted by them. but you may not want to go thatroute, unless you plan on making videos of yourself playing, or of your DAW playing your tune or whatever.

it should be fairly straightforward, but i don't have more precise information than that, since i've not done that yet. but i plan to.

Smile

I've seen a lot of musicians using wordpress.com. Basically, you may create your own website or blog where you can post your pictures, links, articles and videos. You can have it for free but if you wish to have more upload capacity, you can purchase some upgrades.

As a music teacher, I use music teacher's helper. A software that provided me with my own studio website wherein my students can access their schedules, billing records and other great stuffs.
    Music Teacher's Helper - a web-based computer program designed to help manage your studio.

I've been seeing http://bandcamp.com/ used a lot lately...

it seems pretty quick and easy to get an elegant looking site up and running to promote your music.
    STAFFNOTES: Free Printable Staff Paper
    1/2 lined paper - 1/2 staff paper

well it's not necessarily specializing towards promoting musicians, but if you wanted to create a snazzy looking website, you can try out www.wix.com since it helps you create a website using flash and it's simple to use too
    "We look at each other wondering what the other is thinking but we never say a thing."
    umgd

The easy way is a My Space site, you can reach out to other musicians as well

You can create a FREE website at http://www.weebly.com . It isn't a "musician site" but you can build a website in about 15 minutes, and put music and video on it with multiple pages for free... and can upgrade later when you need to.

Worth a look...
    [SIGPIC]GitarPlr1962

SteveH
    Quote Originally Posted by earlmarsden View Post
    I've seen a lot of musicians using wordpress.com. Basically, you may create your own website or blog where you can post your pictures, links, articles and videos. You can have it for free but if you wish to have more upload capacity, you can purchase some upgrades.

As a music teacher, I use music teacher's helper. A software that provided me with my own studio website wherein my students can access their schedules, billing records and other great stuffs.
    I use wordpress for my site too jambole.com I've found it really easy to set up and configure, so I've been able to focus on the articles rather that the formatting.

As you can see, I've been able to get a whole host of chord, scal and arpeggio charts up, as well as mp3s for download. It didn't take long to get the hang of at all.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by earlmarsden View Post

Well not just musicians, but almost everyone is using wordpress since it is easy to fix your own website for this. I am not a music teacher but I am a musician. If you will be hosting your own website, make sure to at least create a website that will not only benefit you, but also other musicians out there.
    Last edited by ndrewoods; 12-04-2011 at 02:09 PM.

When I had a business I went through Yahoo Webhosting. They have a great program called Sitebuilder that you download and it is very easy to use. Actually it is as easy as learning MS Word. They offer 24/7 customer support and I rarely had to wait over a couple of minutes to get through. It is very easy to create menus, sub-menus and add photos and the price can be as little as $5.00 a month.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/

They will help you set up your own domain name (which is yours if you care to move to another service) and it does not mention Yahoo anywhere. You can also set up a special email account such as John@mygreatmusic.com and it looks very professional.

I cannot speak to the other services mentioned in this thread. They could be better but I was very happy with Yahoo and I would encourage you to check them all out. If you want to call yahoo their phone number is 800-318-0783.

Good luck.