Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Identifying (by ear and voice) intervals BELOW a root note.

Identifying (by ear and voice) intervals BELOW a root note.

I'm pretty good and IDing and singing most intervals ABOVE a given note. However, when it comes to IDing a note BELOW a given note, man, I get confused.

A couple questions:
    1) Traditional Solfege is do re mi fa sol la ti do. That's ascending. If I want to sing a descending major third would I go 'do' then a low 'mi'? Or, would I go do then the sol?

2) Am I the only one who thinks that intervals BELOW a root note sound so different. IMO, if I play B then the G below, that is a major third, but it feels a lot more somber than if I play B followed by a D# above.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeOfBoom View Post
    I'm pretty good and IDing and singing most intervals ABOVE a given note. However, when it comes to IDing a note BELOW a given note, man, I get confused.

A couple questions:
    1) Traditional Solfege is do re mi fa sol la ti do. That's ascending. If I want to sing a descending major third would I go 'do' then a low 'mi'? Or, would I go do then the sol?
    If you're starting with "do" it should be "le" - IOW, not one of the normal diatonic (7-note) solfege syllables, but one signifying a minor 6th (b6).
    http://www.fact-index.com/s/so/solfege.html

Alternatively, you could sing "mi" first and then "do".

But this is an issue about which note you hear as (or want to make) the keynote (do) - see below .
    2) Am I the only one who thinks that intervals BELOW a root note sound so different. IMO, if I play B then the G below, that is a major third, but it feels a lot more somber than if I play B followed by a D# above.
    Right. This is - partly - a difference between "melodic" and "harmonic" intervals.

Played simultaneously, G-B together should sound the same (quality-wise, not pitch-wise) as B-D#. Both are major 3rds, and - outside of any other context - we perceive the upper note in relation to the lower one.

When we play notes in succession (melodic intervals), a lot depends on which we hear as primary. Typically (again outside of any context) we judge the first note to be primary - we calibrate our ears to that note, if you like, and relate following ones to it.

However, we can easily be persuaded otherwise by a prior context.

So B followed by G may sound like an inverted minor 6th. If B is keynote, that is a "dark" kind of sound.
    Test this by playing a B major chord first, and then those two notes: the G will sound quite dramatic, because it is clearly outside the key we're expecting.
    But now play a G chord first, then the notes B > G. Now it should sound much "happier", like the major 3rd "coming home" to the keynote.

A good example (of the power of this kind of expectation around melodic intervals) - is the famous opening of Beethoven's 5th symphony: one note (G) repeated 3 times, followed by a drop of a major 3rd (to Eb). It's dramatic because (with no other clues) we perceive the opening note as a keynote. However, it's soon made clear that the key is C minor, so both notes are diatonic. Neither is the keynote, in fact, but there is no real drama between those 2 notes, being the highly consonant 5th and 3rd of the tonic. (And the key does modulate to Eb major later.)
    Last edited by JonR; 10-27-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Here's a link that identifies the intervals, as well as a few song suggestions:
    http://fc.bhncdsb.edu.on.ca/~jnicholson/Course%20Schedules/interval_ID_guide.htm

If you like the song approach, here is another link:
    http://www.earmaster.com/intervalsongs/

(as a side note, you may be interested in earmaster 5, I use it for my ear training. You can try the demo)

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar
    Joey D

OK OK, I'm getting better with practice! Amazing how even 20 min a day over the course of week, how much improvement you see.

i found a cool free program called GNU solfege, it's an open source ear training program in case any one is interested. it's at http://www.solfege.org

so you know, i take these ear training tests "Identify the interval - is it a M3, m3, P4, P5 above or below the root" These are all automated in the computer.

Yesterday I was consistently scoring b/w 80-90%
    Today I'm scoring b/w 40-50%.

Frustrating indeed.

I'm pretty good and IDing and singing voice lessons most intervals ABOVE a given note. However, when it comes to IDing a note BELOW a given note, man, I get confused.

A couple questions:

I also think that way. Try to randomly pick a root note and name a series of descending intervals as quickly as you can. If you picked a Perfect 5th below A#, then name a series of Perfect 5ths below A# starting with D#. Then below D# is G#. Below G# is C# then F#, B, E, A, etc. Some intervals will quickly come back to the same note after four or five steps. If you hit double sharps or flats, you can use the enharmonic spelling (for example G instead of Abb) so you can continue the reciting the series. For each practice session, recite a series of ascending intervals using one random starting note. Do this once for each interval type using a different starting note. When you become fast at this you will have mastered counting with intervals.
    Last edited by ndrewoods; 09-11-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Well, here's what I do and actually suggested this to other classmates of mine:

Invert the intervals. In fact, I was taught how to do this: The rule of nine. Similar to the rule of three regarding key signatures.

The rule of nine is: the opposite quality and the numbers add up to nine.

Bb up to G is a Major sixth; however, Bb down to G is a minor third.

Major and Minor are opposite qualities and six + three = nine.

An augmented fourth is the opposite of a diminished fifth (C-F#<->C-Gb). Again, opposite qualities and numbers add up to nine. (4 + 5 = 9)

When viewing the Perfect interval relationship - only the numbers have to add up to nine "by rule" though they really do not. (P4 + P5 = P8)

It's also help when dealing with large intervals. Bb to octave G. That's a Major thirteenth; however, we can only go up to the octave. Therefore, the thirteenth becomes a sixth. We can either catapult the Bb or drop the G; thus making the inversion easier to deduce. (It's the same interval upon inverting as noted above)

When a musician or teacher says that 9 = 2. 11 = 4 and 13 = 6 - that is what s/he means.

I like to refer to this as Octave Displacement

Do remember though that you can always count down as opposed to up.
    Last edited by Color of Music; 07-13-2012 at 04:14 AM.