Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

View Poll Results: should there be a stanley jordan article with licks and song excerpts

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, defenitley

7 53.85%
  • no

2 15.38%
  • not sure

1 7.69%
  • whos stanley jordan?

3 23.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when is some one gonna make a stanley jordan article with licks n suff

Long Beach C.A (home of sublime and snoop dogg)

Lightbulb when is some one gonna make a stanley jordan article with licks n suff

People in this forum seem to like shred a lot. but I dont know if you guys are tired of the same old licks and techniques like i am. if you guys like shred you guys should check stanley jordan the first jazz shredder the guy rips his licks and touch tap technique is scary i just cant belive nobody has writin an article on him, the man sounds like the whole band (check out his version of stairway to heaven WOW!) im 15 and have been playin for 2 years but can play classics like frenzy by paul gilbert kick it all over by greg howe and go off by cacophony. i was having so much fun with these songs and playing em for people but since my first year of playin i started to invent my own techniques (which at the time did not know that stanley jordan already did em till a year later) like harmonizing licks using one guitar and long and fast legato lines using all four fingers and both hands over the neck. but then i heard stanley jordan i was blown away. i understand what hes doing but have no idea how to use his technique or his licks, and i would really like if some one or somebody at ibreathe could make an article on him( eric v im sure can do it better than anyone can)

shred is not dead!!!!!

Posting Rights Suspended Anubis's Avatar
    new shredder wrote
    im 15 and have been playin for 2 years but can play classics like frenzy by paul gilbert kick it all over by greg howe and go off by cacophony
    After 2 years?

Some just have it in them, like Johan Randén . Sometimes i feel like taking them all out with a good sniper rifle. Brats! (kidding, ok?)

Johan's awfully good! I just listened to a clip on his website... wow!

On the topic of articles and Stanley Jordan, there are videos and books available if you search hard enough. Here's one:
    http://www.musiciansource.com/Videos/guitar/vsjgui.htm

His web site also has some good stuff. http://www.stanleyjordan.com/

It's a mistake to call him the first jazz shredder, IMHO... All jazz guys are shredders (well, maybe not all). They were sweeping and tapping in the 60's and 70's, it just took a long time for the rock guys to figure out the licks and add distortion!

Stanley Jordan is incredible as a live performer too. Very scary stuff.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend

Cuno wrote
    Some just have it in them, like Johan Randén . Sometimes i feel like taking them all out with a good sniper rifle.
    Yes I feel that way to but then I know that it really doesn't matter how good someone is technically.
    The only thing that matters is if you can write a good song and make people interested in what you do.
    Fact is most guys with good technique will never get famous but the guy next door that knows 3 chords but knows how to sing and write songs is the guy that will make it.

Originally posted by Cuno
    Sometimes i feel like taking them all out with a good sniper rifle. Brats! (kidding, ok?)

LOLOLO CUNO!

Talking

Well now that i know that theres a lot of shredders like me in this forum i can talk about the one guitar harmonizing thing i like to do. basicaly you use both hands on the neck and play the counter point of the lick your already playing. The songs i first started with were by steve vai and david lee roth hot dog and a shake. at the end of his solo he plays a minor seventh tapping arp.(ill post the lick later) and he harmonizes it by fiths the second time around all you have to do change the second guitar lick to another string, it involves a lot of stretching but in the end it sounds really good. the other song is fire of rock by racer x, paul uses to guitars on the whole solo(for those who have heard the song you know what i mean) the hard part to play this solo with two hands is the fact that you have to relocate the notes a lot because most of the solo the two guitars play on the same string so some changing is a must. and in some parts you gotta exchange parts with hands. if some one can help me put ptb on here il post the licks up. I hope this well help some of you explore more fun shred licks with this technique because im pretty bored of the same techniques but like they say two hands are better than one!

Post deleted by moderator

Anubis,

I think that's what many lead guitarist wanna be's (I'm kind of guilty of this) don't realize. You can practice your scales and techniques... but at some point you're going to have to make up original stuff. I remember the first time I saw a video of Steve vai play. I realized that he wasn't really improvising, but had it all memorized and planned out ahead of time. And when he did improvise in a blues jam... it left a lot to be desired. But he's still awesome because he wrote some good songs.

neo shredder,

I heard some stanley jordan stuff. I thought stairway to heaven was good, at least the beginning. When I thought about his technique though... I realized that I have other guitar players that I can collaborate with, a loop machine, and that I don't need to be able to do that. Although it would look cool...

Yeah, Stanley´s technique is quite impressive, and he creates some very interesting sounds that way.
    The question is: does it make sense to make up a lesson about his style. Because it´s tough to play this kinda stuff on a regular guitar.
    I once had a chance to try out one of Stanley´s Vigier-guitars, and the string.-action on that one was so low that you couldn´t play on it the regular way. You had to do tapping.

But then again, I still am working on a bunch of articles about all the tapping-stuff, and I´m sure there´ll be some SJ-style stuff included somehow...
    Eric

PS: Some trivia... in the 80s, there was a movie with Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger in it. I think it was called "Blind Date". Stanley made a cameo-appearance in it, and can be seen and heard playing for a moment...

yeah it can be hard to play this stuff on a regular guitar, but since i love jazz and go to these open mike things i have no band to back me up i got to play harmonies and melodys. i have a jackson with a h-s-s pick up config and both single coils dont work at full power. but what i do to play something similar to what he does i put a hair band (yes a hair band) on the first fret so you dont get that weird noise when you tap a high note. i set my fret action not as low as he puts his but mine is still low(he says the distence that the high e string and the 12 fret shouldnt be thicker than the edge of a penny!) i really dont care if it looks cool on stage(cause its not about being a flashy guy in jazz more about the sound and music you play ) i like my action low i cant seem to play if the strings are high or are not loose its gotta be a mental thing i guess. but stanley jordan can make so really good music songs like eleanor rigby and all the children are beautiful pieces of music for people who like harmony. i dont think its hard to play this but more of the things that stanley says that your guitar needs to play the touch tap technique but its fun to explore right now im trying to play carlos santanas samba pa ti using touch tap but its really really hard to arrange music to be played on one guitar like the chords on samba pa ti and the melody pretty hard. but i notice that he has two ways of playing like on his songs with a band he harmonizes his lines by octives like george benson and plays leads using both hands when alone like eleanor rigby and all my children he plays chords and bass lines and a melody with his right. if anyone has kazaa download a video of him on david letterman he plays some cool and real jazz fusion. i just need some to help transcribe his songs especialy eleanor rigby and all the children my ear is not good enough to tab his songs som if anyone can help, HELP!

Originally posted by neo shredder
    but what i do to play something similar to what he does i put a hair band (yes a hair band) on the first fret so you dont get that weird noise when you tap a high note.
    The whole band? Sheesh! Who do you use? Poison? Ratt? KISS?
    Peace

LOL! naw hair band the thing you put on your hair

Anubis

Post deleted by moderator

Funny.
    I don't remember what I wrote that wasn't allowed here