Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Best way to record a PC jam session on webcam?

Best way to record a PC jam session on webcam?

Howdy. I need some advice on PC recording....

I've gotten into recording some acoustic performances on webcam. It's easy because I just have to plug the semi-acoustic into the PC and the webcam records the audio direct with visuals.

But I know want to record myself playing electric along to some backing tracks, again recorded on webcam. So the audio will need to be the backign track and guitar.

My issue is that I normally play all my backing tracks on PC. Is it possible for me to play a track on PC, play along with it, and record both guitar and track as the finished audio? I'm not sure this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
    Howdy. I need some advice on PC recording....

I've gotten into recording some acoustic performances on webcam. It's easy because I just have to plug the semi-acoustic into the PC and the webcam records the audio direct with visuals.

But I know want to record myself playing electric along to some backing tracks, again recorded on webcam. So the audio will need to be the backign track and guitar.

My issue is that I normally play all my backing tracks on PC. Is it possible for me to play a track on PC, play along with it, and record both guitar and track as the finished audio? I'm not sure this is possible.
    You're basically talking about multitrack recording - sure it's possible with the right software/hardware.

Try downloading Audacity (free audio editing software) and you may be able to accomplish what you're trying to do with just it and the gear you've got (though recording is a huge art and science unto itself - and can quickly get complicated, and expensive, if you really start chasing higher quality results!)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...&i=multi-track

No, not just recording. I've recorded demo tracks many times before.

It's about using a webcam to record a jam session with the PC playing the backing track. I want the webcam to record the picture and full audio (guitar and backing track).

Unfortunately I think I'll have to use an external sound source for the backing track and plug that into either the soundcard or my POD (if that's possible) along with the guitar.

Unless someone else has a better idea

I think you have 3 options.

Simplest would be to open your volume properties / advanced / recording and tick your PC's output so that it's feeding into whatever you record. I'm not sure off hand whether this is possible, but I don't see why there shouldn't be a way to record your PC's output + your line in signal at the same time.

Second simplest would be to mix the two tracks together. Make sure you do something in your lead which is easily syncable with the backing track.

Third would be to us a basic mixer. Ie have your PC and your guitar as inputs and record the output via your line in.