Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Extreme shred licks

Just teasing My internet connection is down, i canīt even search on google. But ibm still works. Explain that!

So i searched a bit here at ibm and found this: http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...=&threadid=565

Just record your playing using whatever program you like (like sndrec32.exe if youīre using windows), save it as a wave file, and the use the above link to find a tool to convert the wav-file to mp3.
    Last edited by Cuno; 08-11-2003 at 09:43 PM.

Long Beach C.A (home of sublime and snoop dogg)
    whats that sndrec32.exe

Iīm using a swedish windows, itīs called 'Ljudinspelaren' here. I guess the english name for it (as it appears on the start-menu) would be 'Sound Recorder'. Itīs bundled with windows, so you should have it there somewhere. Alt. start: Click the startmenu then 'Run', type 'sndrec32' in the box that appears, and choose ok.

neo shredder,

check out www.homerecording.com

I've searched through their forums with 'recording mp3' query for you. Here's the result:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/sea...by=&sortorder=

Also read these links found at IBreathe forums:

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...ight=recording

Zatz.

Unhappy

Hey thanks for the help but all those seem like recording programs wich i dont have or dont havee money to buy them. i use to have a cakewalk program, but my comp got meesep up last year and everything got deleted. i tried to install it but i had lost the serial number also i was vacumming my room(my computer was at gateway being fix like 7 weeks ago) all the wires were on the floor under the desk. well i accidently suck in the recording mike cable, it was destroyed but........ i still got a computer head phone set that has mic on it(sort of like the pilots use on a chopper) ill try to use that wont sound good but ill give it a try

I have a suspicion that you practice licks more than the application of these licks... if so, your practice is a waste of time.

I'm not trying to be mean... but as I looked at these licks, I thought "big deal" and thought "do I want to waste my time learning more shred licks?"

Does anybody else feel the same way? I think I'm into the sort of soloing where you hear then play and not just play memorized crap.

Lightbulb

call it what u want. for me all these licks help me improvise. there more licks you the better you will know what to play next. its not also about just memorizing these licks, its to get new ideas. how do you think jason becker learned to play like he use to( hes now paralyzed from ALS and cant even move ) he learned yngwie's licks and took it too his own to learn em and then inspire him to make his own lick thats not the same but is the next step. Now if you dontt want to learn more licks(thanks to luis moreno) thats fine. Im only fifteen and those licks arent all what i do in a day of playing, i also study harmony and exotic styles of music(indian & japanese) All those licks are for different styles of music, take bits and pieces from each lick like i did and aply them to your style. like i said im 15 and still got a lot to learn. so if u think those are just for memorizing think again buddy! After all this is a shred thread, it says it in the title and shred is all about being technical and expressive and dont say no because there is no shred album out there thats easy to play

By the way these licks are very good mainly the nš4 and the nš5 Why?
    Because they are mine! Make a visit to my site and see these
    licks in video http://www.luismoreno.net/lessons_adv.htm

It’s a privilege to know that it has people interested in my
    work. The world is very small!
    www.luismoreno.net

Luis Moreno

neo shredder,

I, like you, am young (17) and also have a lot to learn. But I find it very hard to believe that it is possible to hear these licks before you play them. If you were able to... I think it might sound like you're jumping from lick to lick. But you might also be one of those people who will just go into an automatic mode when soloing. By this I mean, not completely focused on what note comes next and just playing. I used to be like that, especially when I was more into shred. However, I find it more difficult and rewarding to try to think before I play... even though it results in less speed. I remember Sculz saying that it is stupid to work on playing fast when you can't think fast.

By the way... cherish your next summer b/c after that your going to have to get a job. At least I did, and man do I miss that endless time to practice.

Luis,
    Humility bud... humility.

Well, just to balance iīll take make a post more balanced towards neo shredderīs opinion. Just learning licks and playing them over and again leads to pretty boring playing and mechanical thinking, true. But most people learn from the licks, and donīt use them straight off. Instead you play small variations of them or parts of them to your personal taste of the moment, stuck in between those other notes you think up at the moment. I think this is something all guitar players do, more or less consiously. Itīs a great way to be more versatile and interesting in your playing.

Originally posted by Luis Moreno
    By the way these licks are very good mainly the nš4 and the nš5 Why?
    Because they are mine! Make a visit to my site and see these
    licks in video http://www.luismoreno.net/lessons_adv.htm

It’s a privilege to know that it has people interested in my
    work. The world is very small!
    www.luismoreno.net

Luis Moreno
    Luis,

welcome at Ibreathe. Iīll definitely check out yer site
    Eric

Man is this thread getting novelesque or what? Lies,deceipt, treason, bastard licks...all rolled up into one lololol.

pretty good ****in thread aint it?

I think I might have been a little misunderstood. I just wanted to comment on the importance of actually applying these licks.

Cuno,
    I agree with you. However, I got the impression from the fifteen year old, a point he likes to emphasize, that he just practiced these licks until he got them fast. After all, what's the point of learning a two-handed lick, when you could easily practice harmonizing the scale with two hands? Well at least that seems more productive and useful to me.

Anyway, I don't want to give off the impression that I'm against learning licks, getting them up to speed, and learning from those licks. The thing is, if I hear a lick, I'll see what the person is doing and then apply that to my playing. I remember Eric commenting on how he never learned the licks on the videos he watched, but just got the ideas.

Snufeldin, youīre right.

Thatīs what I said. I remember when I got the Richie Kotzen video ( I think its called "Rock Chops" ). I did not learn one single lick from that video, but the solos Richie played at the beginning and the end of the video were sooo very inspiring...
    I really soaked those up, and did what you just described,... I watched what he did, tried to memorize some of the techniques and kinda hear the "overall sound" of that solo, and then applied that to my own playing.
    I often recommended some videos which will help you to work on your technique cuz they feature some good exercises, like the Paul Gilbert-vids.
    A lot of the vids are... well, obviously not really organized. I consider many of them more of a showcase of the player thatīs on it ( like the Kotzen-video amo. ). Their instructional value might be pretty low, but itīs amazing how inspiring those vids were for me...
    Eric