Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Beginner theory lesson: rhythm

Beginner theory lesson: rhythm

Hey everybody,
    here's a new lesson, about basic rhythm theory.
    Hope you can use it.
    http://www.guitarhow.com/36_guitarhow_rhythm.html
    Take care!
    Roger

The idea was great although it was meant for beginner, I find some interesting idea and maybe if someone novice would ask me what is rhythm, I will gladly recommend this.

Last edited by Clevshred; 07-14-2012 at 07:59 AM.

This post is referencing a PM I received from ToneDeaf, but it was too long; therefore, I'll write it here:

This goes for anyone else who is having trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ToneDeaf
    Hey. Thanks again! Anddddd... I've got a question. I'm puzzled with rhythms.

I know the semi quavers and stuffs, blah blah. But when it comes to say, a blues rhythm. Or Jazz blues rhythm? Or say, a rock rhythm. I'm at a total loss. I mean, I can understand that it's dependent on the chords, but I don't understand how do I get the feeling going even with the correct chords.

Do you have any idea how to get the feel?
    Well, I don't know as it has more to do with listening and really listening. As you said, with a Blues rhythm vs. A Jazz Rhythm. Now, there are some technical things you need to learn like time-signatures:

4/4 = Common Time, but there are many different rhythms for feelings that can be evoked.

There's there straight feel, there's the swing feel, funk feel, Then, there's a Triplet Feel. (4/8. 12/8), there's the shuffle feel.

In 3/4, 2/8 (6/8), you get the Waltz rhythm. (ie: My Favorite Things)

The rhythm section does what is called comping - a term used alot in Jazz. That is what all those aforementioned rhythms are alluding to. However, comping is not limited to Jazz.

Listening to songs in different styles will help you.

There is software out there that demonstrates these rhythms, but the most popular is Band-in-a Box. Here's a YT video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFwmUzhfhDw

I would recommend using this program before using other software, so you can get an idea of what not what to write, but how it sounds.

Here's another video explaining how to use it sifting through the different styles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3B9kY1xzbA

By using this program, you get just the basics about chord progressions, but as many have said, it's all about listening, but use this if you whether not listen to actual tunes or tunes played through that play through that program.

Now, when it comes to actual playing, there are many ways: Different rhythms, dynamic variance, tempo fluctuations ... all of which can be done within the same piece. If few or none of these things occur, you ma be accused of sounding "too technical/mechanical"

If you're composing through software of some kind, you'll hear the same argument.

Here's the website if you want to read up on the program, download to try or buy. As I said, there are others, but this one is really suitable if you're just starting out or need to refresh (or if you just wanna use it again) It's an inspirational music tool more than anything. {It's the program I started with]

http://www.pgmusic.com/

Just to explain it:

It's an auto accompaniment program simulating a band ranging from a duo to a quintet. With two piano keyboards stacked on top of each other, each section taken up by a particular instruments.

The sections you have are: Bass, Drums, Piano, Strings and Guitar; however, any patch (midi instrument) can be chosen for each part. (Cycle through Drum Kits for that section)

As noted above it comes with many different pre-loaded styles to get you started and additional styles can be purchased.

As noted above, you'll get the basics about chord progressions - from a "does it sound good" basis, but with the styles, you'll get how the comps.vamps work within each. The different meters and feeling for each style as well.

You can essentially make a rough sketch of an idea and export it to a DAW to refine it more or you can leave it as is.

Here's a video using BiaB + Sonar X1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58UZPnS2sqY

I recommend getting this because gaining knowledge about such aspects is better when it's hands on. You should read about this stuff, but see tutorials, messing with appropriate software and listening, really dials in your ear.
    Last edited by Color of Music; 08-28-2012 at 11:49 PM.

The shared link is really helpful to all beginners out there. I find it interesting and the idea was great to put all your knowledge in here. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm not discouraging the people with Absolute Pitch or Perfect Pitch. I actually admire and I look up to those people who possess the very skill. I believe it should not only be the 3% of the population that should have Absolute Pitch or Perfect Pitch, I believe everyone should have the skill.
    erum