Quote Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Well, sure, variance in opinions is what makes a forum different from a blog. To me it seems absolutely clear that by saying he expected a "shorter route" and indeed asked in the OP "how can i know which scale they belong to without looking in every scale i know" he is asking for a general solution to a general problem. My feeling was that limiting a response to the exact chords and key he was using as an example was in fast missing the mark, and so I attempted to offer a "shorter route" to solving the general problem.

I don't think he was asking whether if he took some chords from a song in A-minor, they were best accompanied with other objects also in A-minor. What would have been the point of that? That could have been asked without using the clues Dm,Am,C as an intermediate step. This is why I thought that speaking to the more abstract problem was, in fact, precisely responsive to the OP.
Yeah you are probably right. Maybe I am just being pedantic or obtuse (or whatever the right word is).

I am not disagreeing with your answers.

But just to explain - when Roi replied to Jed saying he hoped for a shorter route, I wanted to clarify whether Roi was clear in his mind about certain basic theory ideas (such as playing scale X over chords in the key of X) ... because in his OP I noticed he talked about the individual notes being major or minor, and he asked “ how can i know which scale they belong to without looking in every scale i know where .... “ , as if thinking perhaps there would be only one particular scale.

IOW - apart from the more complete general answer which you and Jed gave, I just wanted to check with Roi whether he was clear first on those basic points (otherwise the more advanced explanation may go over his head).