Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Alternate pick arpeggios? Rock guitar players are lazy?

Alternate pick arpeggios? Rock guitar players are lazy?

Steve Morse alternate picks arpeggios a little fast. Isnt it silly if your playing 3 notes/2 notes/3 notes/1 note/1 note ( per string ) in a lick you alternate pick the first 3 strings and then drag the pick for the last 2 strings. And you have to plan things like that so you cant really freely improvise off the top of your head. I would love to never sweep anything again - if your using the pick its down up down up... with no distinction between arpeggio or scale. Hard as bloody hell though. Im pretty close to sweep speed with Yngwie style 3 string arps but not even close up and down 6 strings. Ouch. You might even get carpal tunel too.

I was gonna say and I forgot - it MIGHT be possible and not many have tried to alp pik arps long enough? Its hard and sweeping is easy. How many have REALLY put in the time? Cuz if you can alt pick a scale fast with a straight arpeggio its the same thing you do when your changing strings but without the other 2 notes in between. So you should be able to - at least almost as fast as a scale.

This guy does it good at about 2:48 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObE01HCLPq4

This guy does it alot on his youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bHD6...el_video_title
    Last edited by Guido Sarducci; 01-05-2012 at 12:45 AM.

You can always alternate pick arpeggios, and quite fast, but never as fast as sweeping. It's basic physics - your right hand is strumming a chord, and that will always be faster.

Yeah its probably better to think of arpeggios as a chord and strum it. Especially if you like to shred with alternate and play alot of speed metal riffs you might get carpal tunnel. I was surprised holding the pick with the middle finger how much faster I can alternate pick a straight arpeggio than I ever have.

Regarding carpal tunnel, that's due mainly to poor wrist position, i.e. bending the LH wrist too much. Keeping a straight wrist will help to reduce injury.

I use alt picking and sweep and often together as required. another thing to consider is that if you don't want to use hammers, pulls or taps in an arp, then alt picking is often required, as well as sweeping.

Seamlessly breaking an arp up so as you're running up and or down the neck requires a different approach to sweeping as good and well. Use whatever is required to get and end up where you want eh?

Page has been known to sweep a few strings here and there. He's also been known to to use a nice heavy pick which gives a nice click sound to the movement ie the" Rain Song".

It's basically a matter of preference, like most other playing tools. Somehow for me personally over the years, I got to the point where I prefer the sound (and ease) of sweeping down, but then alternate picking whenever coming back up (if playing an up/down type thingy). That just gives it a more varried feel, instead of using the same approach all the way up and down, and then possibly again if you're one of those multi arp guys (so many dudes seldom hit ONE arp in a tune and stop, lol, always seems to be a series of them ala classical passages).
    Last edited by Schils; 06-26-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
    another thing to consider is that if you don't want to use hammers, pulls or taps in an arp, then alt picking is often required, as well as sweeping.
    Pretty much my approach

I tend to sweep all my arpeggios, alt picking only the parts that I don't want hammered/pulled in that phrase, though I like the sound hammer/pull better in most cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chim_Chim
    Be different.

Do it for the OATMEAL.

For me, alternate picking can be good as long it sounded in ramdom beat not just sticking in the beat of the tracks try to look at Paul Gilbert lesson about alternate picking .

Last edited by Clevshred; 07-14-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Alternate picking sweep arpeggios is much more difficult than actually sweeping them. I think alt. picking is a great way to help you break through barriers with sweeps.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasYoung View Post
    You can always alternate pick arpeggios, and quite fast, but never as fast as sweeping. It's basic physics - your right hand is strumming a chord, and that will always be faster.
    ^ exactly