Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Second-hand piano

Second-hand piano

Hello, anyone got tips/guidance in buying a second-hand piano? Thanks!

I think of an acoustic piano as being a piece of furniture. Where is the piano going to fit. Then I think of the piano as being a musical instrument.

What to look at in a used piano, I really have no idea beyond price and tone and how much I want this one. If you are into big money I'd have a piano tuner check it out before I bought it.

Antipodean Downsizer
    Steel frame is far better than wooden frame, Chitarrista, and will save you big bucks in ongoing tuning costs. And you should check the soundboard- the large sheet at the back of the strings- for tiny splits or cracks. These develop with age, and will give you a buzzing sound on lower notes.
    Verbum sapienti sat est

If you're looking for something decent, aren't very knowledgeable and aren't buying from an established, reputable seller I'd agree with Malcolm - get in touch with a tuner/tech you can hire to check out anything you're interested in (and you may well find they're in the know about pianos in good shape available for sale).

Thanks to Malcolm, clearwater and walternewton.

The tech in a store showed me a Victor (never heard of this brand before), when I was browsing for Yamaha. He said everyone who doesn't understand piano always aims for Yamaha. But they're just expensive because of the brand. Inside, Victor is better. And seems Yamaha's action is lighter than the Victor. I'm still browsing...anyone knows the quality of Victor?

I have heard this book is a useful resource, you might see if your local library has a copy (and if they don't they can probably get you one via interlibrary loan).

Finally I bought a Kawai! My school principal offered a help looking for a good one. She browsed through a lot (I really mean a lot :P) of old pianos, and finally picked 2 of them. And I chose 1 of them. Now that easier... *phew!*