Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Does anyone here listen to Jazz?

www.DansPianoJazz.com

Does anyone here listen to Jazz?

Hi,

I thought I would post a link to my website. I have recorded some solo Jazz piano improvisations along with some Jazz Duo pieces. Just curious what people's opinions are...

I posted once before but received hardly any response. Since then I have improved my web site so I'm just wondering if I can get some people to visit and comment about what they like or don't like.

"Jazz" is such a broad term and many times the mere site of the word scare people away. On the site there is a solo jazz piano piece that I wrote called "SunrEyes". Some would call it Jazz others would not. Just wondering what members here think.

Thanks,
    Dan

www.DansPianoJazz.com

I play jazz guitar, I checked your clips on the site - nice I really liked Stella (which is my favorite standard
    Check out the free chord player site http://www.jam-buddy.com

www.DansPianoJazz.com
    Jayx124,

Thanks for listening and for your post.

Dan

Your music is sound. Liked what you have.

If I may suggest. Gray background and black font. Hard to read. Your choice of color combinations could be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pincus View Post
    Hi,

I thought I would post a link to my website. I have recorded some solo Jazz piano improvisations along with some Jazz Duo pieces. Just curious what people's opinions are...

I posted once before but received hardly any response. Since then I have improved my web site so I'm just wondering if I can get some people to visit and comment about what they like or don't like.

"Jazz" is such a broad term and many times the mere site of the word scare people away. On the site there is a solo jazz piano piece that I wrote called "SunrEyes". Some would call it Jazz others would not. Just wondering what members here think.

Thanks,
    Dan

www.DansPianoJazz.com
    Yes, I'd call that jazz, in the broad sense anyway.
    For me, "jazz" presupposes a central improvisation element: the point of a jazz tune is to be a vehicle for improvisation.
    If it's just a composition in which improvisation might be incidental, then it's more likely a "popular music" piece. (Many forms of popular music allow improvisation as a kind of add-on element, not a fundamental element as it is in jazz.)
    But of course "jazz" has certain stylistic elements which define it (as different from either classical or other popular music), even in a non-improvised composition. Yours has plenty of those - as well as what seems like improvised elements.

Anyway - nice playing!

(BTW, "copyrighted", not "copywritten" )
    Last edited by JonR; 04-19-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Sure! Someone always is listening jazz. I started to listen to it only a year ago when I started my piano jazz practice. For that was absolutely new and and something new has appeared in my life.

www.DansPianoJazz.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Your music is sound. Liked what you have.

If I may suggest. Gray background and black font. Hard to read. Your choice of color combinations could be better.
    Malcolm,

I was just wondering what browser you are using because I am using a grey background with bold black font. I'm using IE8. I was wondering if your browser is reversing the colors and exibiting a black background and grey font.....If so, I'll need to figure out how to have the colors show up the same in all browsers.

If you have the time, I would really appreciate a screen print of what you are seeing. Just do a CNTRL + PrintScrn and paste it into Word or Microsoft Paint and e-mail me at Danshirl@aol.com Thanks in advance for your help...

Thanks,
    Dan

www.DansPianoJazz.com
    Quote Originally Posted by JonR View Post
    Yes, I'd call that jazz, in the broad sense anyway.
    For me, "jazz" presupposes a central improvisation element: the point of a jazz tune is to be a vehicle for improvisation.
    If it's just a composition in which improvisation might be incidental, then it's more likely a "popular music" piece. (Many forms of popular music allow improvisation as a kind of add-on element, not a fundamental element as it is in jazz.)
    But of course "jazz" has certain stylistic elements which define it (as different from either classical or other popular music), even in a non-improvised composition. Yours has plenty of those - as well as what seems like improvised elements.

Anyway - nice playing!

(BTW, "copyrighted", not "copywritten" )

"copyrighted"...
    Thanks Jon!

I listen to anything with cool playing as long as no bad singing.
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

sounds good, very relaxing.

Sounds really nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Chim_Chim
    Be different.

Do it for the OATMEAL.

Check your E-mail I sent the print screen you asked for.

Dark suit, white shirt and a red tie. Primary colors sell. http://www.colorcombos.com/

What does not sell? http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/200...-combinations/ Red and green - stop lights - you'd think they would be great together. Color blind people have trouble telling those two colors apart.............
    Last edited by Malcolm; 06-28-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Yeah I really find it benefitial to learn from all styles and a lot of Jazz and Fusion players really inspire me even though I play more Rock
    Get your FREE 2 hour shred guitar course at http://www.nielsvejlyt.com