Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: How do we contact tech help if we are having a problem with this site?

How do we contact tech help if we are having a problem with this site?

Hi there, for some reason "instant email notification" is not working for me. It worked before but for some reason quit. I have gone to my profile and my email address is correct but I am not being notified. I think I will put the address in my address book in case it is going through a spam filter but if anyone has another idea I would like to hear it.

Maybe try sending a PM to Clive

It is my understanding that the Mods may not be checking in very often. Long story........

Quote Originally Posted by walternewton View Post
    Maybe try sending a PM to Clive
    Thanks Walter, I sent him a PM. Hopefully I will hear something soon. Do you know how a forum works? I have never really understood them. I mean, are they controlled by one computer or are the out in the web?

Quote Originally Posted by gilcarleton View Post
    Thanks Walter, I sent him a PM. Hopefully I will hear something soon. Do you know how a forum works? I have never really understood them. I mean, are they controlled by one computer or are the out in the web?
    Well, I think everything "out in the web" resides on some computer somewhere!

I don't know a lot but hopefully this is generally correct and gives you some idea how it works:

This forum is created using software called vBulletin, running on one (or more) computer(s) connected to the internet, and with the software all configured and managed by the site's owner(s).

If you look at a forum like this photography one you can see its look and functionality is very similar to this one - it's also built on vBulletin, running on some other computer(s) and managed by some other people somewhere else.

You could buy a copy of the software and set up your own server (basically a computer configured to allow other people to connect to it) and run your own forum on any topic you like, which people could then create accounts on, post messages, and all that.
    Last edited by walternewton; 03-27-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    It is my understanding that the Mods may not be checking in very often. Long story........
    I check in several times each day, but the Mods do not have any powers here except to delete spam, or to intervene if posts ever get argumentative (which is rare to never).

But for any technical changes, users probably need to email Clive as suggested above by Walter ... follow the link in Walters' post to contact Clive.

nice post thanks.................
    Gomez

Mod
    actually he recommended emailing him, you might have a better chance of getting up with him if he hasn't responded as of yet

Hello.

I've just tested the email settings and I'm not seeing any issues with the sending of emails from the server since the upgrade. Anyone else experiencing any issues?

I never received your PM Gilcarleton, are you sure you sent it?

For info - the server actually lives on 'the cloud', although the cloud is located in Paris, France ;-).