Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Info on Reading Music

Info on Reading Music

I have a few guitar books at home. I read them and understand most of it, but I cant do the exercises because (like some of the lessons on here) they are written in notation (Not tab).

Where can I learn about reading music for the guitar. I have just been reading about Triads by Gunharth Randolf, and he shows the chords in music notation. How do you what note on a particular line corresponds to a particular string and fret (think that makes sense ? )

tr1cke

Experi-mental-ist
    there is no 1:1 relationship between notes on the staff and fret / string numbers. music notation tells you how the music should sound, not how you should play it. attached is a picture of the staff and tab for 6 different places to play the note "e" in the 6th octave.

the notes are all the same (though when you play them on a guitar, they have varying degrees of richness due to the difference in thickness and length of the strings vibration).

hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg e.jpg (15.5 KB, 61 views)

Well, I can recommend a book by David Oakes, called "Music Reading for a guitar". Itīs really helpful to get started with sight-reading, is well written and takes you through all the basics.

How do you know which note to play at which fret on which string ? Itīs tough sometimes, the guitar is a tough instrument for sight-reading.
    Sometimes, the general position to play in is indicated above the staff ( i.e. "V"= fifth position... refer to the book I mentioned to learn more about position-playing ). I also have seen notation where thereīs indications on which string to play the respective note on ( i.e. the booklet of Steve Morseīs old REH instructional-tapes )
    But in general, you gotta figure it out yourself. You should try to get a general idea about what other notes you have to play, and try to find a position where you can play the notes you need to play comfortably... you have to arrange a piece for the guitar yourself, if you know what I mean. Itīs often up to you, and thatīs what makes it tough...
    Hope this helps a bit
    Eric

Cheers folks. That cleared it up for me. I will definatley check out that book.

Laterz

tr1cke