Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: half barre with 4th finger

half barre with 4th finger

Hi!

I have to do a half barre with 4th finger on the 5th fret, while I have to press the low F (1st fret, 6th string) with the 1st finger. I can reach this position, but the sound of the E and the A are ugly. >.<'

Can anyone tell me what kind of practice I should do to fix this?

Thanks

thats a nice Fmaj7.... It's an hard one to play on the 1th fret. Maby you should practice it on the 5th or 7th fret and once you have all the notes ringing you practice it down the fret board.

Quote Originally Posted by chitarrista View Post
    Hi!

I have to do a half barre with 4th finger on the 5th fret, while I have to press the low F (1st fret, 6th string) with the 1st finger. I can reach this position, but the sound of the E and the A are ugly. >.<'

Can anyone tell me what kind of practice I should do to fix this?

Thanks
    There is always another way to make any chord. You do not have to make it as you said. Go here http://chords.kytara.cz/guitar-cords/ and then let the chord generator show you all the other ways of making that chord.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 06-26-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Right Malcom but that difficult shape gives you the maj7th and the maj3th on top of the voicing. 2 octave higher the tonic F. And it's realy a nice sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Michel View Post
    thats a nice Fmaj7.... It's an hard one to play on the 1th fret. Maby you should practice it on the 5th or 7th fret and once you have all the notes ringing you practice it down the fret board.
    Thanks, Michel. I'll try it. Can you do a barre with 4th finger? I heard it found in many latest arrangements?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    There is always another way to make any chord. You do not have to make it as you said. Go here http://chords.kytara.cz/guitar-cords/ and then let the chord generator show you all the other ways of making that chord.
    Malcolm, I found this hard position in a music sheet, Bach's Prelude. It said exactly where I should put my fingers...Can I just change it and still sounds nice?

But 4th finger barre is useful to learn, isn't it?

I think it's definitely useful to learn.

I don't find that chord (i assume its 1xx555 ?) difficult but i do have large hands and my guitar is setup well but most importantly I've spent time focusing on improving 4th finger strength and dexterity.

Anyway, here's some other chords with 4th finger barres to practice.
    Em7: x75777
    Bm7: 7xx7.10.10
    and 7x7777 3rd finger on low root, 4th barres dgbe,

and a dorian/blues scale diad lick thats also good for the 4th finger

e--8p7p5------------------
    b--8p7p5---8p7p5----------
    g-----------8p7p5----------
    Last edited by borge; 06-26-2012 at 09:37 AM.

oups... I was assuming the shape was 13x255

Malcolm, I found this hard position in a music sheet, Bach's Prelude. It said exactly where I should put my fingers...Can I just change it and still sounds nice?

To make a Fmaj7 chord you need to sound the R-3-5-7 notes of the F scale or F-A-C-E. Anywhere you can find those notes they will make a Fmaj7 chord. Now as to the voicing -- Those are all in the same octave, if you found the 3 in another octave - same note - but different sound, then your voicing will take on a new voice or sound. Is that a "nice" sound? Probably.

Not sure what a four finger barre is. If you mean a little finger barre, here again anyway you can combine the R-3-5-7 will make a maj7 chord. As to the voicing, that's another story.

To make a Fmaj7 chord you need to sound the R-3-5-7 notes of the F scale or F-A-C-E. Anywhere you can find those notes they will make a Fmaj7 chord. Now as to the voicing -- The R-3-5-7 are all in the same, or first octave, if you found the 3 in another octave, i.e. the 10th note in the F scale - (R-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 octave-9-10) another A, same note - but different octave of course it will have a different sound. Your voicing will take on a new voice or sound. Is that a "nice" sound? Probably and your all first octave notes will probably sound nice also, not exactly what the song writer wanted, but, close enough.

Solo instruments tend to use more than one octave, rhythm guitar, as well as the bass, would/could leave the second octave for the solo instruments to play. When playing with others it's things like this that have to be worked out, so you are not stepping on some-one's toes. In your case the songwriter wanted a specific sound and told you how to make it.

Not sure what a 4th finger barre is. If you mean a little finger barre, here again anyway you can combine the R-3-5-7 will make a maj7 chord. As to the voicing, that's another story.

Check this out: http://www.smithfowler.org/music/Chord_Formulas.htm
    Last edited by Malcolm; 06-26-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks, Michel. I'll try it. Can you do a barre with 4th finger? I heard it found in many latest arrangements?
    No i cant at the first fret F whit that kind of chord shape. But i can from A on a clasical guitar. The thing is that the 4th finger is our weaker one.
    I can play 1x3255 but not 1xx555 and Maj9 1x5555 from low F as root, my 4th finger is not strong enough. Those voicing are not practical on guitar but they sound verry nice at leats to my ears.

That's a big stretch, I can't play it cleanly past g, after that it gets pretty tough. If it were me I would practice it from where you can play it cleanly and move up the fretboard from there.

Quote Originally Posted by borge View Post
    I think it's definitely useful to learn.

I don't find that chord (i assume its 1xx555 ?) difficult but i do have large hands and my guitar is setup well but most importantly I've spent time focusing on improving 4th finger strength and dexterity.

Anyway, here's some other chords with 4th finger barres to practice.
    Em7: x75777
    Bm7: 7xx7.10.10
    and 7x7777 3rd finger on low root, 4th barres dgbe,

and a dorian/blues scale diad lick thats also good for the 4th finger

e--8p7p5------------------
    b--8p7p5---8p7p5----------
    g-----------8p7p5----------
    Yes, it's 1xx555.

Ow, borge...! That's the advantage of having large hands...! Can small hands do that?

What kind of practice did you do to improve 4th finger strength and dexterity?

P.S. I just watched a guitar performance by someone with large hands. He can play 1x56x6 (I don't remember where he put his fingers on 4th & 5th strings, but I'm sure about the rest) easily... :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Not sure what a 4th finger barre is. If you mean a little finger barre, here again anyway you can combine the R-3-5-7 will make a maj7 chord. As to the voicing, that's another story.

Check this out: http://www.smithfowler.org/music/Chord_Formulas.htm
    Yes, Malcolm. I meant barre with little finger...

Quote Originally Posted by Gallipoli View Post
    That's a big stretch, I can't play it cleanly past g, after that it gets pretty tough. If it were me I would practice it from where you can play it cleanly and move up the fretboard from there.