Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Theory behind God of Thunder

Theory behind God of Thunder??

Okay, I was a member here years ago but got away from you all - life got in the way.

I have recently started teaching my 11-year-old to play guitar. I started out trying to get him to learn the notes on the neck and to be able to play the Major scale in multiple locations and keys.

He got bored quickly, so I taught him God of Thunder by KISS at his request last week. He picked it up quickly and can play it nearly perfectly. I told him we could work on the solo if he'd agree to work on learning the theory of the song.

I, however, am not good at teaching theory. I showed him the E Minor scale and how all the notes in the main riff are pulled from this scale. I also showed him how the chords are all from this scale. I just don't know how to explain the theory in a way that is clear, concise and interesting.

Next he wants to learn Shout It Out Loud and then Cult of Personality, so I need to find a way to teach the theory along with the songs.

In the fall he'll start on Clarinet in the 6th grade band, so theory is on the horizon, I'd just like to help him now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by PaulWolfe; 07-02-2012 at 01:56 AM.

I posted the lesson I came up with in my blog here: http://randomthoughtsandramblingsofawolfe.blogspot.com/

+1 to the above post.

Chord progressions and get him singing the melody along with his chord accompaniment. Working to where he takes an instrumental solo -on the guitar - playing and singing two verses and a chorus - then give the lead to his guitar taking a solo break and then give the lead back to his voice to end the song back with singing and chord accompaniment.

Singing and playing will let him finish a whole song NOW. Instrumental solo will give him something to work toward.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    +1 to the above post.

Chord progressions and get him singing the melody along with his chord accompaniment. Working to where he takes an instrumental solo -on the guitar - playing and singing two verses and a chorus - then give the lead to his guitar taking a solo break and then give the lead back to his voice to end the song back with singing and chord accompaniment.

Singing and playing will let him finish a whole song NOW. Instrumental solo will give him something to work toward.

Have fun.
    Excellent idea, thank you. Singing along never even occurred to me!

Yep, singing melody is a whole lot easier than playing melody.

I can't sing and play, it's one or the other.