Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Hi there!

Hi there!

I just registered here, I am starting to learn how to play guitar and I don't have a problem memorizing the chords. the only problem I have is my small fingers I am having a hard reaching the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by lizwright04 View Post
    I just registered here, I am starting to learn how to play guitar and I don't have a problem memorizing the chords. the only problem I have is my small fingers I am having a hard reaching the strings.
    Hang in people are always saying; " My hands are too big". My hands are too small".

I too have small hands. Can not span the neck with my index finger which makes barring difficult. But there is always another way.

I use a folk size guitar, it's a little smaller, and does help. I also use a modified CAGED pattern. No do not look that up, keep trying what you are doing now. I mention this to let you know there is always something that can be done to compensate for small hands.

I have no idea how small your hands actually are and am reminded of Peggy Sue's hands. Peggy Sue played rhythm guitar and sang with our band for years. Peggy Sue is maybe 5' 1" and has never seen 100 lbs. She plays a full size Martin. There is always a way of getting the job done. Do not give up yet; keep doing what your instructor or the books tell you to do. If your hands are too small you can deviate from the normal way of playing, but, do not throw in the towel just yet. There is a solution .........

Have fun. It is a journey you can enjoy for the rest of your life.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 08-31-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Welcome.

I have small hands too. But they are the only hands I got. No sense worrying about it for too long.

Now, if my brain was too small, that would be a problem.

Just kidding. Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by time2kill; 08-31-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: small hands, bad typing...ok, small brain

Hi, welcome to iBreatheMusic , ...

... yep, I echo what the others guys said above - a lot of people think their guitar playing problems are due to their hands being too small, and if you are trying to play stuff like Paul Gilbert songs with huge stretches between some of the notes, then it's true that it's a big advantage to have exceptionally long fingers like he has ...

... however, you will also find instructional DVD's from guys like Don Mock or Danny Gill, where it's clear on the film that these guys have quite small hands and quite short fingers, but they are still playing all those same things brilliantly just as if they their hands/fingers were the ideal & perfect size.

So you certainly can play all this stuff no matter what size and shape your hands and fingers are. Django Reinhardt famously had even completely lost the use of two fingers on his left hand.

One thing you can do, is to practice exercises which require you to make quite big stretches and which also require you to use proper classical positioning of your fretting hand. It does take time, and a lot of practice, but a dedicated approach to that sort of practice will eventually help you to overcome any problems of having smaller fingers. You can find some exercises like that in the well known book Speed Mechanics (that's aimed at electric players in shred-rock style of course).