Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Jazz books?

Jazz books?

I want to start studying jazz music and I want to be able to play fast like George Benson and Daryl Darden and Leon Perry and Greg Haynes. Anyone know any good jazz books that has exerices in them too? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dwest2419 View Post
    I want to start studying jazz music and I want to be able to play fast like George Benson and Daryl Darden and Leon Perry and Greg Haynes. Anyone know any good jazz books that has exerices in them too? Thanks
    Playing fast comes after a lot of slow playing.
    -- From the JoyOfImprov by Dave Frank. -- Your sustain tempo is the speed at which you feel presently comfortable. Practicing at your sustain tempo promotes strength, accuracy and endurance. Your challenge tempo is faster, and is typically set one metronome marking above your present top speed. Which is the fastest tempo at which you can maintain a relaxed swing 8th feel. Practicing at your challenge tempo promotes greater speed and a quick interplay between your inner ear and hands. For Beginners a typical sustain-to-challenge range is 72 to 92 beats per minute; an intermediate range is 100 to 138; and an advanced range is 160 to 180 and above.
    What do you want to play from; treble clef lead sheet, chord melody solos, comping backup or single-line improvisation?

Look inside this book....... http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Bay-Jazz-G...p/0786666455#_ Each song has sheet music on each style.

Pick one way and get started.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 09-26-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Hi Malcolm,
    Amazon has the solution of everything whether it is electronic, sport equipment or book. Dwest do try http://ebookbrowse.com also and you will find tons of books here and you can download them for free also.