Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: modes in a one chord vamp

modes in a one chord vamp

Just want to check my understanding.

I get that if you play over a single repeating note you can go for any of the modes and that for a power chord you can go for any mode apart from Locrian (5b clash) but...

if you play over a one chord vamp eg a cmaj can you use any of the major modes? eg Ionian, Lydian and Mixolydian

and like wise if you are playing over a minor chord eg Cmin can you then use any of the minor modes Dorian, Phrygian and Aeolian (except Locrian as the 5/5b would clash).

Thanks
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Phil View Post

I get that if you play over a single repeating note you can go for any of the modes and that for a power chord you can go for any mode apart from Locrian (5b clash) but...

if you play over a one chord vamp eg a cmaj can you use any of the major modes? eg Ionian, Lydian and Mixolydian

and like wise if you are playing over a minor chord eg Cmin can you then use any of the minor modes Dorian, Phrygian and Aeolian (except Locrian as the 5/5b would clash).

Thanks
    Phil
    Yes, that's essentially correct.

Over a minor triad, you could also play harmonic minor or melodic minor.

And you could try Dorian mode on a major chord, which will give you a (sort of) blues sound (basically, flattening the 3rd of mixolydian).

There are some other more unusual scales that would fit major and minor triads, but best not to go there yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Phil View Post

Thanks
    Phil

Yes, theoretically all the things that you have said are correct. You can practice all these concepts over one note or triad vamps.
    The difficult thing is to focus in phrasing. What will be the phrases that you will use for each mode. I will use an example.
    Dm vamp-D Dorian
    Try to see and use the notes of Dm while improvising with the Dorian mode. This will give you greater control. Pay attention to certain notes. How it sounds to play an E note (9) over Dm. Also, hear the tension produced by playing Bb (b6- Aeolian) over Dm.