Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: 4/4?

4/4?

Every time I improvise I always start playing in 3/4. If I want to improvise in common time I have to consciously imagine a 4/4 rhythm or count it before I can freestyle. This makes the majority of my riffs in 3/4. When I do randomly make a riff in 4/4 it sounds awesome and different to me and I would like to do more of it.

I think my mind is tuned to 3/4 because when I started playing in high school all I played were acoustic strumming in that time signature. How do I get out of this mindset??? I mean I use jam tracks in 4/4 all the time what the hell is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by threadsoffate View Post
    Every time I improvise I always start playing in 3/4. If I want to improvise in common time I have to consciously imagine a 4/4 rhythm or count it before I can freestyle. This makes the majority of my riffs in 3/4. When I do randomly make a riff in 4/4 it sounds awesome and different to me and I would like to do more of it.

I think my mind is tuned to 3/4 because when I started playing in high school all I played were acoustic strumming in that time signature. How do I get out of this mindset??? I mean I use jam tracks in 4/4 all the time what the hell is going on?
    Well obviously (as you've guessed) 3/4 is ingrained in your subconscious because of that high school strumming experience. Although I can't think why that should have all been in 3/4... (very odd to concentrate on 3/4 as a beginner.)

I tried an answer, but, it did not make any since. So....... only thing I can come up with is like Jon said your rhythm is locked in 3/4 time.

Try this riff; R-3-5-6-b7-6-5-3 - begs for 4/4 time.

Try singing some blues songs. Blues is defently not 3/4 time.

Keep playing 4/4 stuff till it sounds good ---- sorry I do not have anything better to leave with you.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 10-20-2012 at 07:41 PM.

-Hmm not sure if Blues will be the best option, cause it kinda feels like a 12/8 filled with groupings of three 8ths.. iow 123 123 123 123

This is not 3/4, but the triplet tendency is there, unless you focus on swinging and syncopating the notes..

-Maybe you could try Bossanova, if you have the chord skills necesary..

I imagine being in 2/4, really forces you to think binary stuff... and Bossa has a strong tendency to be counted as a 4/4, like.. 1 2 3 4 or 1 2 1 2 (red-bold being slightly stronger than black-bold)

Also it has a whole different kind of groove, comparing it to lets say Waltz 3/4, wich could open yer mind
    -----------------------------------------
    www.ernz.tk