Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: How to play faster on the guitar?

How to play faster on the guitar?

I am using a metronome when I practice guitar, but when I reach the speeds of 150 BPM or higher on the metronome, I usually reach my peak, I can't catch up. Are there any techniques for building speed on the guitar or any instrument?

Something my guitar teacher told me to do when I was still taking lessons was if I felt like I was hitting a wall (say 150 bpm) ramp the metronome up to 160-170 or even 180. Try as hard as you can to play the run that fast, then back it down to your goal and see where you are at. Sometimes this has the effect of tricking my fingers into doing what I want them to. Other than that, keep practicing with your metronome, don't make any drastic increases until it feels totally comfortable at your current speed.

there is you tube vid of a chinese lady showing how to develop speed on a classical. If I find it again I'll try to remember to post. Try looking around there though.

The most important thing to play faster guitar is practice.You should make a practice schedule it will improve your speed 20% faster than normal.Don't spend too much time on single thing like if you are practicing solo for 20 minutes then try bridge to the solo for next 20 minutes.Whenever you practice keep your mind cool,fresh and relax don't be tensed.
    Last edited by Crossroads; 11-20-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Speed will come naturally over time through constant practice. It needs to be built up slowly so that you have control at high speeds. It should require no more effort to play fast then to play slow.
    http://unlocktheguitar.net

I think there are various approaches to take (at once). First, you need to practice slowly without a metronome in order to get the correct muscle movements down. Then you need to practice guitar exercises both at a comfortable speed to solidify the movements and a 'fast' speed (even if it is too fast for you) to prepare yourself mentally for the next level. Also it always helps to have a teacher who can guide you along. Personally I take shred guitar lessons with Luca Turilli and use this guitar practice schedule maker. Between the two, I've been able to become much faster player than before (I started doing this maybe a few months ago). I really recommend this approach to you if you want to become shred guitarist... it's been pretty fun too (better than just trying to find lessons around the internet on my own).

Let me know if you have any more questions, maybe there is something else I can help you with

Check out this article too: How To Play Fast
    http://unlocktheguitar.net

I was hitting a wall ramp the metronome up to 160-170 or even 180. Try as hard as you can to play the run that fast...........

Last edited by Emma; 09-16-2014 at 12:52 PM.

I think the only continuous training and learning, spend more time, and do not get bored

I am the creator of http://keeping-tabs.io and learning to play faster was my initial goal when I created the site. After a ton of research, I realized the only true way to get faster is with slow, deliberate practice but I'm a realist and know that this can be difficult if you don't have the discipline or tools at your disposal. With Keeping Tabs, you can signup for free and start loading your exercises into the system with the intuitive lesson editor. After that, you can start create a practice routine with lessons assigned to different days of the week or, use the practice now feature to enter in how much time you have to practice and get a routine generated instantly. Where the website really shines, however, is that when you are practicing a lesson, there is an onscreen metronome and timer so you don't have to fumble around the internet to find different tools. Additionally, the system logs your metronome speed and the duration you practiced on a per lesson basis and allows you to see your progress over time with onscreen graphs on a statistics page.

The idea is that Keeping Tabs is an all one spot for setting up, playing through, and tracking guitar practice routines and I know if you check it out, and focus on practicing everyday, you'll see your speed increasing quickly!

The best way to ensure rapid progress is to practice regularly and never forget to be patient and enjoy yourself in playing guitar. You can start from playing easy songs and master them, next is playing fast songs and slowly increase your speed.

To play faster on the guitar:
    1 Practice slow
    2 Use alternate picking
    3 Use a metronome
    4 Avoid tension
    5 Practice fast
    6 Analyze your playing
    7 Practice regularly

I would strongly recommend bringing the speed back down and getting more comfortable with a speed you can do well. Then when you are really comfortable with that speed bring it up a tiny bit and see if you can still play in time. If not bring it back down again and build your confidence at that speed again.