Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: List of Tendencies

Threaded View

The Amount of Connections is how many prime numbers are needed. For example 3x5 is just two connections. More connections adds Complexity and maybe a bit of Ambiguous. Regardless this Tendency resolves with fewer connections. So 3x3x3 would resolve to 3x3.

Higher Prime, in this case, is just x5 and x3. So x5 would normally resolve to x3.

Higher Amount of Beating
    is a very common dissonance measurement. How much are the frequencies colliding with each other. You can look up "critical distance" or even just "dissonance" and find info on it. It's an objective measurement.

Potential Negative Strength How much contrast (strength) do we have between the negative and positive versions of an interval. Some intervals really don't want to be negative. Like [G B] would really like to be [1 3]. If I choose B as my tonic instead then I get a Dark b6. This seems to have a residual effect even when I find a positive route to take. This is because there's a potential negative version that has less connections.

I can face it Positive with 5x5, but the potential for negativity is still there because 5x5 ---> x5.

This creates a type of Conflict because two types of Tendencies are in battle. Negative --->Positive and Higher Amount of Connections ----> Lower Amount of Connections. In this chart Positive is winning so Potential Negative Strength is a type of Conflict.

Intervals in the middle of the chart are weaker and therefore easier to face in either direction.

Just as a reminder, any of these Tendencies can seem to go opposite, but it's really that another Tendency had an influence.

For example the b2 has a Lower Amount of Connections than the 4, but the b2 has a crazy amount of Beating compared to the 4.

Positive Tonal Numbers - Resolution Chart 3.jpg

Here's a direct link to the Audio examples:

Focus is on +4 +5 and then b3
    http://freejazzinstitute.com/uploads..._Valentino.mp3

Focus is on 4 b7 and b2
    http://freejazzinstitute.com/uploads..._Valentino.mp3
    Last edited by Ken Valentino 2; 08-25-2017 at 03:24 AM.