Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Passing Chord & Non-Functional (Non-Structural) Chord

Passing Chord & Non-Functional (Non-Structural) Chord

http://www.harmony.org.uk/chord_prog...y.htm#appogg_1

I've read those definitions and i couldn't find any difference between some of them.

1) What is the difference between auxiliary note and passing note?

2) What is the difference between passing chord and non-functional (non-structural) chord?

Quote Originally Posted by zanshin777 View Post
    1) What is the difference between auxiliary note and passing note?
    In this style:

A passing note typically connects two pitches a third apart: ABC or AGF for example.

An auxiliary note typically comes between two notes of the same pitch. An upper auxiliary note is traditionally a step above two notes (ABA for example) whereas a lower auxiliary note is a traditionally step below two pitches (AGA for example).

2) What is the difference between passing chord and non-functional (non-structural) chord?
    This is stuff you really don't need to concern yourself with at this stage (it would only confuse you).

Reading through a glossary is NOT an effective means of learning harmony (some stuff on that page is really advanced, and it's not written particularly well).
    Have you given up with your book?

Have you done any exercises yet? - Remember to practice things as you go.
    If you want to do an exercise and post it here, I am happy to critique it for you. This might be a better way of learning - from your mistakes

Sorry for late answer. Mandatory internship and girlfriend issues emerged. I'm having troubled days.

No. I have not. Actually the book i've been studying is a good book. I've learnt a lot of things from it although not by myself. (by help of the friends on this forum. I really appreciate that and it makes me happy.) However the language of it is very technical and compressed. What i've been studying is continously leading me somewhere else.

I've been skipping the exercises. Just reading, investigating the examples, thinking, searching and asking... I hope to finish this step quickly and use the tools i gained actively by analyzing the songs i love.

Don't skip the exercises! Two years ago I've been putting a lot of (mainly) questions in this forum trying to connect all the concepts: intervals, scales, modes, chords, progressions, and so on. I could get a general idea about how everything is connected and tested my knowledge with my own songs, composing examples of the issues I was studying and then putting more questions here.

Everything's fine but... Today I feel that I'm no "master" in any of the subjects. I feel there are a lot of "blanks" in my knowledge mainly because I didn't practised too much. I also followed some books but never spent much time doing the exercises. These are things that you need to think to understand them but, after, you need a lot of practice to ingrain then in your mind.

Now, I come here, but don't put many questions. I'm spending my time doing exercises of some of the basic stuff.

Thank you for advice rbarata. I'm at the point of filling the gaps of theoretical information now.
    Last edited by zanshin777; 02-22-2014 at 09:55 PM.

I've been skipping the exercises. Just reading, investigating the examples, thinking, searching and asking... I hope to finish this step quickly and use the tools i gained actively by analyzing the songs i love.
    I would also advise against skipping the exercises.
    You don't have to do loads of them, but after you've learnt something new, you need to practice it otherwise you'll forget it. You need to apply what you have learnt to consolidate it in your mind. You learn by doing, not by reading.

Ideally, this should be done with a teacher who can then correct your mistakes. - I can't overstate how valuable this is; it might not be good for your confidence at first, but having someone point out your mistakes is one of the best ways of learning.

There are probably things you think you understand, but in actual fact you've got totally wrong. Unless someone corrects you, how will you ever know?

I also raised an eyebrow when you said your goal is to "analyse the songs you love". Academic exercises are one thing, but real music seldom works that way in practice. And of course real music is a lot more complicated than anything you learn in first-year harmony. And unless the songs you love are choral hymns, a lot of the sort of thing in your book won't be applicable.

If it helps, here's a simple exercise in C major:
    Identify each chord and its inversion, also identify both cadences using words.

Actually i've been gathering the information from books etc. in one place and including understood examples not to forget them.

To be honest I don't know how to apply anything i've been learning into modern era songs or if it is possible. I might be learnt too much for my aims but at my point i want to read a lot and learn anything what i come across.
    Last edited by zanshin777; 02-22-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Actually i've been gathering the information from books etc. in one place and including understood examples not to forget them.

To be honest I don't know how to apply anything i've been learning into modern era songs or if it is possible. I might be learnt too much for my aims but at my point i want to read a lot and learn anything what i come across.
    The ambition is wonderful, but what is your goal beyond this? It's like the folks who soak in all the theory, but can't perform well or get tripped up when performng because they let the theory get in the way. Now, if you are composing that certainly changes things, but even composers have to hear more than read more. If you get what I'm saying.

And you can't think that everything you learn all fits or will fit in one place. (ie: trying to fit classical into jazz or vice versa).

It's like the teacher said when he asked this question:

"How many chords do I need to know?" The answer: how many the song needs if you're writing one or how many it has if it's already been written! (ie: Pop uses less chords and simpler ones than jazz; however, this is not to say that jazz tunes don't use few or simpler chords - ie: Autumn Leaves)

You have to decide what you're gonna do first as that will determine what you will need later.

My aim is to examine the songs i love and collect the elements which i love then produce. I've been reading things but i can't certainly know if something would be useful or not at next steps. (Yet I choose the books i'll read by examining the indexes and titles) After a couple of books i'll go to the next step.
    Last edited by zanshin777; 02-23-2014 at 11:01 AM.

My aim is to examine the songs i love and collect the elements which i love then produce. I've been reading things but i can't certainly know if something would be useful or not at next steps. (Yet I choose the books i'll read by examining the indexes and titles) After a couple of books i'll go to the next step.
    I would think the best way to understand the song you love is to start by doing a harmonic analysis. Then add a melodic analysis. Then you can use those structures and techniques to guide your studies.

Thank you for all answers guys.

Thank you for all answers guys.
    Do you know what these types of analyses are?

As far as i know;

Harmonic Analysis : To examine which degreed chord is chosen to harmonize the melody.

Melodic Analysis : 1) To examine if it is used outside, alien and blue notes on the melody. 2) To examine which scale degreed notes are used on melody 3) To examine where they placed on measure.

Am i right?

Rather than get into a long description in the abstract, . . . why don't you identify a song to analyze and we'll have at it. Please provide a song (preferably in standard notation) that you want analyzed. I promise, at the end of the process you will have a much better understanding of these concepts and how to approach your goals.

cheers,

Thank you very much Jed.