Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: What to learn first

What to learn first

I want to make a line from 1 to 10 most important chords, which to choose?

Way too many chords - it's practically/theoretically impossible to do this.

However, start with your I, IV and V chords - this is the base set then build from there. ii, iii, vi, then vii.

I - This is home (Most important)
    V - Brings you back home (I) - Second most important)
    IV - third in line - this could take you to V or I

ii, iii and vi are secondary chords - a little less important than your primmary chords; however, they help spice up songs takingthe heat off your primary chords.

vii - not often used as a triad, but the second most important due to how it acts or its function. Just like V, it brings you back home (I)

When you get beyond triads (three note chords) - such as sevenths (four note chords) and ninths (don't focus on these), you will see/hear how these function as Vs and usually go back to I (dim7s - viio7; 7b9s - V7b9s)

Other than this and there just being way too many chords and oodles of knowledge behind each, there's nothing more that you should inquire about. Not yet, anyway. IMO The good thing is though the possibilities are wide open once you start grasping the beginning concepts!

Have fun!

What first? That depends on the music you will be playing. Most of my stuff is major key and the ole I-IV-V7 gets most of it done. So....

1. How the 7 major chord patterns are fretted. A, B, C, D, E, F, G.
    2. Then how do I make those major chords into dominant seven chords is next. What must I do to get that b7 note into the mix. Adding the b7 note gives you a dominant seven. My point; why learn another pattern why not just learn how to adjust the major chord into a dominant seven chord by adding one note to my basic pattern. Or in the case of the A7 by lifting one finger.
    3. Then how do I make those major chord triads into minor chords.. Am, Bm, Cm, Dm, Em, FM, Gm. Minor chords have a flatted 3rd interval, which finger do I move to catch the b3... normally you will move the 3rd interval one fret toward the nut.
    4. The sharped and flatted chords - just move the pattern toward the sound hole for a sharped chord and toward the nut for a flatted chord.
    5. The diminished chord - I seldom see one in the basic ole Country music I play. If you do run up on one go look it up.
    6. The 9's, 11's & 13ths. They really never come up in the simple music I play. If they did I'd recommend you; reading from left to right on a D7b9 chord play the D7 and leave the b9 for the solo guys. A year from now, sure, go for the b9.

Small steps. Seven basic triads first. Then how to make those triad patterns into dominant seven chords and then how to make those same basic triads into minor chords.

Yes to do this you need your handy dandy chord chart and then look at the difference in a D and a Dm and a D7 chord.

I found this helpful; http://www.smithfowler.org/music/Chord_Formulas.htm
    C major scale = C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C
    Scale degree......1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
    C major chord is made of the 1-3-5 scale degrees of the C major scale so you want your chord pattern to have the C, E & G notes in the pattern. Yes more than one is OK.
    C7 chord will add a flatted 7 or Bb.
    Cm chord will have an Eb.

That pretty well gives you the story..... go have fun.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 10-15-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Thank you, Malcolm for telling us major mixing of note. Also thank you for important chords.

This is some valuable information.

You can learn all you Major chord in the key of C, then take chage the root to the 3rd giving you and inversion. Then your can take the 5th and move it to the root giving our the second inversion. These are with traids. then do this in all keys including the minor keys

Here is my way to learn guitar chords:
    1. Know the chord's structure
    2. Learn all the triads in one key: For example in C we have: C Dm Em F G Am Bdim
    3. Try to learn all these chords in all fretboard position.
    4. Learn chords from all keys.
    5. Continue with more advance chords (7th chords, 9th chords, etc)