Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: musical cities in UK

musical cities in UK

hi guys

I wonder if there are cities in UK similiar to Nashville in the USA. I wonder if there are cities in UK full of live music just like it is in case of Nashville. Can you give few examples of ' musical cities' in UK?

It depends a bit by your standards, but I can definitely vouch for where I live - Brighton. We're probably one of the most art/music-centric cities in the UK. If you were to compare London to LA, Brighton is San Francisco. Everyone and their dog is in a band, there are plenty of record shops (vinyl sells very well here), live venues of all descriptions and music shops. I've only scratched the surface, but Indie, Folk, Punk, Rockabilly and Electronic (House/Drum n Bass/Nu Disco/Techno) seem to be the popular scenes/cultures doing the rounds at the moment.

I haven't been there myself but Liverpool and Manchester would be obvious choices too I would imagine, given their heritage. Nightlife culture has suffered quite a bit here in the UK from the recession so it's hard to say. I've heard even London has become very fragmented in the past few years as the financial divide has grown.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyClouds View Post
    It depends a bit by your standards, but I can definitely vouch for where I live - Brighton. We're probably one of the most art/music-centric cities in the UK. If you were to compare London to LA, Brighton is San Francisco. Everyone and their dog is in a band, there are plenty of record shops (vinyl sells very well here), live venues of all descriptions and music shops. I've only scratched the surface, but Indie, Folk, Punk, Rockabilly and Electronic (House/Drum n Bass/Nu Disco/Techno) seem to be the popular scenes/cultures doing the rounds at the moment.

I haven't been there myself but Liverpool and Manchester would be obvious choices too I would imagine, given their heritage. Nightlife culture has suffered quite a bit here in the UK from the recession so it's hard to say. I've heard even London has become very fragmented in the past few years as the financial divide has grown.
    thanks fluffy for reply. I know that there are gigs in Manchester but I think it is just touring bands visiting this city for one night and then they are gone and music is gone. I don't think there is life music among people who actually live permanently in Manchester. I live in Wigan and it is close to Manchester so I think i will check Manchester in more detail

Manchester is one of the musical city in the UK.