Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Let's open the Bass thread up.

Hybrid View

Let's open the Bass thread up.

As this section has been inactive since sometime in 2014 thought I'd get a new post going. If there are any bottom dwellers out there that would like to jump in, please do.

I play a 4 string P Yamaha bass with flats and foam. And a no line fretless Rogue with flats and foam. No line was a mistake I need the fret markers to keep me from moving out of tune. Will take it back into the public after I add some fret decals. Suggestions welcomed.

I agree that fret markers are really convenient. After all, the goal is to glide into notes but the notes themselves have to be in-tune. Maybe an experienced bassist with no fret markers on his bass has the bragging right but the sonic result is the same. I attended a piano/ double bass concert and though I know the bassist guy from playing a fretted bass in jazzclubs and is brilliant there, he was more often than not out of tune in the concert, it was awful.

So, my verdict is either work your *** of with a fingerboard without fret markers to become good or cheat a bit and have the fret markers. The first is a more noble pursuit, the second will get the same results but with a shortcut, no bragging rights though.

I'm thinking of using auto striping decals to mark off the fret lines with those. Will post the results when I'm finished.

he was more often than not out of tune in the concert, it was awful.