Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Songwriting Structure

Songwriting Structure

Hi,
    I am not new to guitar or music theory, but have not been taking it serious for many, many years. I never really got to the point where I was actually applying music theory as it relates to harmony. But I'd like to change that, but I'm not sure where to begin though. I thought about maybe concentrating on 4 bars, then 8 bars, then 12 bars etc, kind of getting used to isolating those and arranging progressions under those constraints before I get into full songs. Does that sound like a good idea? But I don't really know much about arranging chords in those formats, does anyone have some good info? I suppose that would fall under harmonic rhythm or something like that. Thanks

Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
    Hi,
    I am not new to guitar or music theory, but have not been taking it serious for many, many years. I never really got to the point where I was actually applying music theory as it relates to harmony. But I'd like to change that, but I'm not sure where to begin though. I thought about maybe concentrating on 4 bars, then 8 bars, then 12 bars etc, kind of getting used to isolating those and arranging progressions under those constraints before I get into full songs. Does that sound like a good idea? But I don't really know much about arranging chords in those formats, does anyone have some good info? I suppose that would fall under harmonic rhythm or something like that. Thanks

Quixote
    Not sure if you'll be around to check the answer, but:

I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish.

FWIW, IMHO, there is a HUGE problem with people out there - and maybe the internet is partly (largely!) to blame.

You need to learn music from the outside in, not the inside out.

It's true you have to learn notes, how to play, and that sort of thing.

But as soon as you can, you need to learn MUSIC.

Songs. Pieces.

Not "progressions".

If you learn music by others, you'll intuit chord progressions.

If you learn music by others, you'll pretty much figure out song structure without much effort.

What songs can you already play?

Take one, and use it as a model to write your own. That's how people do it!

I agree with stevel, you need to take music lesson from the expert. Join some great institution to learn music.