Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Learn to sight read with "Sight Reading Short Shorts" series

Learn to sight read with "Sight Reading Short Shorts" series

Being able to "read" or decode music to learn a complex piece is not the same as sight reading. Sight reading means you can read fluently, accurately, and rhythmically the first time through.There is a series of five sight reading books which are great for reading patterns. They are Sight Reading Short Shorts by Edna Mae Burnam. They present patterns in gently progressive lessons. Each Short Short should be played four times in a row WITHOUT STOPPING at the end of one. Play like they have repeat bars. Start with Book 1, first lesson. Each lesson has two pages, with (if I remember) three Short Shorts on each page. Each one is generally 4 measures long, so playing through four times is 16 measures rhythmically. These are really GREAT for learning to be a good sight reader.

The very useful tip is given by stringalong to read sight accurately and fluently. Lessons help more efficiently to learn sight.

Dear mixlikes, thanks for your nice response. I hope others can find my post so they can easily learn to sight read. Sight Reading Short Shorts is effective, but learning to be a good sight reader is a long, long process for MOST people. In my teaching, I have had a very, very few people who could sight read easily, but they are rare.