Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Please help me find the right term or description for these chords.

Threaded View

Please help me find the right term or description for these chords.

The group of chords called "natural chords" are: I - ii - iii - IV - V - vi - and vii diminished. But what term would you use to describe the group of chords if they were "flipped" as in i - II - III - iv - v - VI and VII ?

( the major chords are now minor and the minor chords are now major chords.)
    I was calling them "altered chords", but I have a feeling that is the wrong term.

I'm writing my own piano music theory book, mainly for the benefit of my students and grand children. I illustrate how the "natural" chords (triads) are played on the piano in the Key of C. Then I show how each one of these "natural" chords can be "altered" 5 more ways: C minor, C diminished, C augmented, C suspended 2nd and C suspended 4th. Technically I'm telling / showing how to modulate the "mediant" and "dominant" fingered positions to get the chord tone.

So, I was trying to tag a name on these chords or this group of chords to distinguish them from "natural" chords. Maybe there isn't a name for this.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Dave Draper; 04-04-2018 at 03:38 PM. Reason: additional information and clarification