Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Message for Gunharth Randolf

Message for Gunharth Randolf

First of all I have to say I absolutely LOVE your lessons!
    I have been playing guitar for more than 25 years. I learned it all by myself. And since the books I could get with guitarmusic all used standard music notation, I learned myself to read music at the same time.
    After a few years without guitar (due to artritis) I decided to pick it up again (the heck with artritis!). I wanted to focus on improvising and found out I really had to learn the fretboard all over again. I can read music, but not instantly: I still have to figure out where the notes are higher up the fretboard. I noticed I really needed to know this in able to imrpovise better. After that I also noticed, to my amazement, that a solid knowledge of music theory is neede to improvise well! That was new to me! But when I think about it, it's logical: when you play from music, you don't need to think (sort of) because everything is right there before your eyes. But with improvising you very often won't get more than a couple of chords... You have to make it all up on the fly, so you really need to know your theory!

But this topic is getting too long, so let's get to the point..

Somewhere on the usenet the iBreatheMusic site was mentioned. So I came over here and I was pretty amazed by it all! Great awesome site! Quit soon I noticed your lessons about Chord Scales. I read them all. After that I noticed I should have read the lessons about intervals, triads and 7th first, so I did. I just read them, because I didn't like to do the exercises...
    But I found out I really needed to do the exercises in order to benefit from all the theory, otherwise it wouldn't 'stick'. So I started all over again
    I just went through the lesson 'Intervals or The Key etc.' This time I did all the exercises. And guess what... I actually enjoyed them all! It was fun! Specially since I hardly made any mistakes... I found out that (thanks to the fact that I know how to read music and I know where the notes are on the guitar (and the piano too BTW)) it isn't all that difficult! It's pretty logical!
    All in all this first lesson alone gave me more insight in it all than 25 years of fooling around on my own. I also like your writing style: clear, no blah blah and a funny remark here and there: excellent reading!

But this topic is getting even longer now, so now let's REALLY get to the point..

I think I found two mistakes in the Solutions of lesson 1... I can hardly believe it, but here they are...:

Mistake 1:

Major and Minor Intervals

Exercise 2: Name the Note Name

Minor Seventh from c = b

Shouldn't that be Minor Seventh from c = bb...?
    b is the Major Seventh!

Mistake 2:

Augmented and Diminished

Exercise 2: Name the Interval

cb to d = diminished second

Shouldn't that be cb to d = augmented second...?
    the diminished second is dbbb (weird note!)!

Am I right...? If I'm right you really are a good teacher... After all: you teached me this stuff...
    If I'm wrong... well, then I have to read it all over again...
    ________
    RB50
    Last edited by hellogoodbye; 01-23-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Hi hellogoodby,

First off all many thanks for your kind feedback - I'm truly glad that you've come to actually enjoy music theory

And yes, I must be a good teacher - I screwed up when transfering the text of this article into the database.

Mistake 1:

Major and Minor Intervals

Exercise 2: Name the Note Name

Minor Seventh from c = b

Shouldn't that be Minor Seventh from c = bb...?
    b is the Major Seventh!
    bb - yes bb!!! oh dear

Augmented and Diminished

Exercise 2: Name the Interval

cb to d = diminished second

Shouldn't that be cb to d = augmented second...?
    the diminished second is dbbb (weird note!)!
    And YES, augmented second - why do I have the same question twice in this section ??? .....

I think this really shows that you have this stuff under you belt. I am perplex that noone else pointed this out so far. I mean the article has been online for a few months now ....

Thank god it's not a book written in stone, i.e. all mistakes sorted.

Thanks for this,

Guni

Originally posted by Guni
    I think this really shows that you have this stuff under you belt.
    Thank you and thanks to you!

I am perplex that noone else pointed this out so far. I mean the article has been online for a few months now ....
    Er... maybe most people don't really like to do the exercises...?

Well, for all who read this: I thought so too, until I started making them! It really is fun! (Er... I'm talking about musical exercises here! I can think of a lot exercises I still don't like...! ) It's a bit like making crossword puzzles or something similar. And the great thing is that all theory sticks in your head a hundred times faster than it would if you'd only read the theory.
    I had read all articles on this subject (intervals, triads and 7th) but still wasn't able to tell you the third minor from C... (well, almost... ) But now I've read it al just once again (I've also finished the triads and 7th lessons: no errors there, as far as I can tell... ) AND made the exercises and... I still know it all! Everything! For the first time, after playing guitar for 25 years, I know how to make ANY scale out of my head, how chords are built, what aug en dim en sus really means, etc. etc. Great!

Boy, this is beginning to sound like a VERY cheesy commercial... I'd better stop now!
    ________
    spice weed
    Last edited by hellogoodbye; 01-23-2011 at 04:46 PM.