Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Ties

Ties

In class we've come across ties. I understand them with notes. Do ties apply to chords? Or do you just play the chord regular?

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    It's a duration thing, right? If a chord is to be held across a bar, say for 2 beats in bar 1 (written as a half-note chord) and for 1 beat in bar 2 (written as a 1/4), then the chord would be tied just like single notes would be. So the answer is yes--no difference.
    Or do you just play the chord regular?
    Not exactly sure what you meant by 'regular'. If the chord is written explicity in notation (by that I mean if the notes of the chord are actually notated on the staff) then ties apply like they would to single notes. If the music only shows the chord name above the staff, then I'd say there is no specification for how to hand the chord rhythmically--it's all up to you.

Did I get it, or dork it up as I so often do?
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 11-05-2003 at 05:52 AM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Adding something to Bongo's explanation...

You'll find sometimes ties "inside" a chord (i.e. a common note between two chords) that happens quite often in classical harmony and it usually gives a more "laid back" and "relaxed" feel to the chord change while if we move all the notes it gives a more "restless" or dramatic feel. Let's set an example:

You have a G Major Chord in closed harmony (all notes close together) and you're moving towards a C chord in tablature it would look like this:

e--x------------
    B--x------------
    G--0----(0)---5
    D--0-----2----5
    A--2-----3----7
    E--3-----0----8

G E/C C

The G note (open 3rd string) that G Major and E/C Major share is not played twice but it's held (so it drags from one chord to the other) and in standard notation that would be represented by a tied note.

I hope this helps,

Regards,
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

On a very basic level....
    The song is "Amazing Grace" 3/4 time.
    The chords are written above each measure. The notes have the ties.

It's a D7 chord over one measure then another measure w/no indication then a G chord etc.

The notes are: d 1/2 note with a tie into next measure.

So to play melody: I play my d and hold it for 3+2 beats.

However, to play the chord, do I strum 6 times (3 for each measure) or do I strum 3 times, pause and then swtich to playing the G chord.

My guess is just keep playing 6 strums of D7 and then switch to G when indicated on the measure.

I'm sorry I don't know how to scan and post music to make it more clear. Part of my problem is I don't know all the language of music.

It sounds like you're right . If you have that half note and then it ties onto the next measure to another half note you should hold that note for 4 beats (2 + 2), if your next half note is dotted, you should hold it for 5 beats (2 + 3) or if both are dotted you should hold it for 6 beats (3 + 3).

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Jorge
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"