Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Help me compile a top 100 list

Help me compile a top 100 list

everybody seems to always complain about top 100 lists, so I decided to try and compile my own. But I'm looking for some people to be judges and have a say in who ranks where. I'm looking for expierienced people with respect for all styles of music. Maybe some of the administratiors here can take part and possibly later make this a part of the Ibreathemusic.com site. (I'll at the very least post the results on the message board) If you want to a be a judge, I'll send you a list of 30 guitarists (no two judges get the same list) and you'll rank them on a scale of 0 to 10 in 5 categories: Chops, Tone, Musicality/Sense of Melody, Originality/Creativity, Influence, and "X-Factor". any help would be appriciated.

Those are the exact same categories that Guitar One is running in their magazine right now. Why duplicate effort again over something that doesn't improve your skill or sense of melody?

-Dan

PS Wes should kill Jimi but it ain't gonna happen. Go to http://www.guitaronemag.com and vote for Wes Montgomery so his beating isn't as bad as it's gonna be.

SRV #1
    The rest is irrelevant

Phew youre gettin in a tough spot 1nonly, i really dont think its possible to rank players.

But thats just me,

Hey wait, we (led by Danster) did something similar not too long ago.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...&threadid=2111

with the winners here http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...&threadid=2159

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Do you want to rank country, classical, jazz, metal, 'classic rock', punk, pop, blues, R&B and funk guitarists all in the same stack?

I recommend the rank order be based on shoe size only because that's a far more influential factor in the player's impact on the listener than other metrics!

everybody seems to always complain about top 100 lists
    Yes...and for good reason. And so you're saying the solution to this is to add another one?
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 11-10-2003 at 01:55 AM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

I think the current Guitar One issue (using the exact criteria that 1andonly plagiarized) did a good job. Round robin style tournament using a different criteria in each round (Which really sucked sometimes for example a good player went up again Eric Johnson in the "Tone" category and that was it for him). SRV was beat in the second to last bracket by Wes Montgomery (based on total points) who went on to challenge Jimi Hendrix for the crown (he is currently losing by a huge margin though ~500 to ~1700 votes).

Of course I could just be saying that since the jazzers killed everyone.

-Dan

I didn't know Someone had already made a 'top' list here. I just wanted to try to do one in a way that hadn't quite been done before.

as for GuitarONE, I saw that issue and thought they did a horrible job. sure, it's was entertaining to read, but you have greats like Zakk Wylde and Dimebag Darell going out in the first round.

my idea was that each category is weighted differently, and the people who do the judging don't know exactly how the scores are weighed, so no one participating, myself included, are exactly sure what the results would be. it was just an expierment for fun more than anything else.

It's easy ,guys.Make a top 10 of 10 different styles of music.
    Classic rock ,commercial rock ,fusion ,Neo-classical GTR hero stuff,Country,Industrial,Punk,Country ,BLUES ,And JAZZ and CLASSICAL can go make there own list .It can have there own best of the best,Romantic ,Baroque,opera,solo ,chamber ,symphony,Be-bop main stream,Post-bop Miles guys who played with Miles ,Guys who played with Sinatra ,guy's who played CARDs with Sinatra.

It's got to be ,people who use an amp with a GAIN KNOB on it .
    Why is it all the unheard of guys are so hard to hear?They would get flattened by a Gambale or someone.

" TURN IT UP, OR TURN IT OFF" Miles Davis
    Last edited by Spin 2513; 11-12-2003 at 06:19 AM.