Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Just another scale and mode question

Just another scale and mode question

Okay here's the thing I don't get. Lets say I want to write a song about 'Flying thru outer space' or 'Mountains' or 'Goin insane' or anything like that where I can visualize how the song should sound. Thats all well and good but how do I play what I hear in my head. What scales express what emotions. Is there a resource or book or something that says 'you use lydian scales for outer spacey type sounds' for example.

Man this music stuff is hard.

Hey, flathead (cool "handle", BTW)
    Aside from the old "major is happy, minor is sad" type thing, I can't imagine that any books would be available for this. It seems like it's too subjective a topic.
    .......Now if you want my opinion :
    "flying through outer space"; thats whole tone
    "mountains";....pentatonic, don't ya' think,......(or was that hepatonic?)
    "going insane"; that's gotta' be chromatic, with your best speed chops.

What do ya' think ? am I just "out to lunch"....- melodic minor
    ...........have I misunderstood ?......locrian

:cheers
    Mike

Central Scrutinizer
    Good question, however I think the only person who can truely answer it, is yourself.

There's an Old Steve Vai Interview (If I happen to run across it I'll post his answers) where he talked a bit about what moods various modes conjured up in him. All I really remember is Mixolydian being kinna like spring time, at least to Mr. Vai.

So actually I might suggest you ask yourself that question as u play through diffrent modes. What do u hear. How does it make u feel. What images pop up in your head. For example Dorian makes me think of Santana. Not exactly an emotion maybe but state of mind. If I'm playing a Dorian tune I generally try to get into Santana mode. Though it really depends on the song.
    The Allmand Brothers did a lotta Dorian stuff that reminded me nothing of Santana. So how u play it or what type of progession u play it over can perhaps change they way u feel about it.

As far as Way out there trippy stuff I generally just make something up. Course its nothing brand new. I tend to think in terms of what sounds fit my need so if I toss a #3 into a Pen Minor scale in place of the b3 it's cause it fits my need at the time.
    Ok, there's actually name for that but I tend to do it a lot without really thinking about it. So if I want a sitar kinna thing I over or under bend notes and chose notes that echo what I hear in my head.

Anyway point is the scale/mode means whatever it means to you.
    Everything u do will affect u personaly in a certain way.
    If u opt to toss in a #5 for no other reason than it sounds good then that will affect u in a personal way.
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam