Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Singing

Unhappy Singing

Hi,

i tried to sing to day while playing a note. i totally sucked i could only sing in tune a couple of times. Is this very bad news for me as a guitarist? cuz i have seen many articles that advices you to sing etc.

also it was the first time i tried to sing, can I develop a bit or will I always suck?

Bad singing is not a problem, actually you could even sing the notes in your head, the point is that you have to be able to "hear" the sound of a note before you play it. The only problem could happen with your neighbors or your girlfriend

Re: Singing

Originally posted by vanhalen
    Hi,

i tried to sing to day while playing a note. i totally sucked i could only sing in tune a couple of times. Is this very bad news for me as a guitarist? cuz i have seen many articles that advices you to sing etc.

also it was the first time i tried to sing, can I develop a bit or will I always suck?
    Sing trough your guitar

As far as I know, you're stuck with the voice you are born with. However, you can still learn how to sing properly.

just keep working on it. I couldn't sing in tune the first time i tried to save my life. now i can do it very accuratley. try different scales and intervals that are in your range and pravtice till you can sing them accurately. then try working on different melodies and try increasing your range. i think Steve Vai's site has a lot of great lessons on this.

It can be difficult too, so don't give up if it takes a little while!

I have a very limited vocal range (low/deep voice) and most of the music I like is way out of my vocal range!

I can't sing worth a darn, but I can sing pitches correctly and in tune after much hard work. Training your voice will make you a better musician, even if you're not a lead singer.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

Singing in tune all a matter of practice and is inexorably linked to ear training. As one improves, so will the other. In fact, just this Thanksgiving, I was hanging out with my family jamming out Radiohead, Pink Floyd and Beatles tunes (we were on a British kick for some reason) on an acoustic guitar. My brother (who is a much better musician than I) turned to me and said, “your pitch has really improved.” So just stick with it. And definitely do Guni’s solfege exercises… ah, Guni, we miss your articles…

thanks all.. to be honest i didn't expect such positive comments and i thought i would always suck but now i know theres hard work to be done. I will practise with my chromatic tuner.

You could try training (or straining) your vocal chords with a tuner, but I think you're better off singing along with a note or a chord. Tweaking your voice to make a needle go up or down seems to artificial to me. Just keep droning a note or major chord and match the pitch with your voice. Sort of like tuning a guitar... make your voice match the string you're playing. This will not only help train your vocal chords, but it will also train your ear to hear the harmony of the unison.

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Originally posted by vanhalen
    thanks all.. to be honest i didn't expect such positive comments and i thought i would always suck but now i know theres hard work to be done. I will practise with my chromatic tuner.
    You might try just practicing with music that you really know...I mean, tunes you've heard a million times. A chromatic tuner sounds rather cold and pointless, doesn't it? Your objective extends a bit beyond just being able to replicate a pitch.
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 12-04-2003 at 05:22 AM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Central Scrutinizer
    Most musicians can (or should be able to) sing in tune.
    That's generally not the problem.
    The problem is usually breath control, pitch placement (head, chest etc), other words the techincal aspects of singing.

If you can sing a major scale (sight singing) intune your halfway there.
    The next step is practicing sound good breathing ex. to devolpe breath control. Even though I say all musicians should be able to sing in tune, it dosen't alway come out that way. This is usually due to not being able to support the note.

You can learn to sing in tune by devolping your ear (sight singing really helps). You can devolpe better vocal support by devolping breath control. Neither is guarteened to make u a great singer, but u will be much better off than before.
    You can get even better by practing even more vocal tech. (a good teacher or least a good singer who can actually explain what there doing will help tons).

Then there's things like range, which u can and will improve but, not sure u can actually do much about beyond that. You got the voice your given. Some will be higher than others. Some have a stronger falsetto some a stronger chest voice. All these things can be improved but I don't picture Steve Perry sing Ronnie James Dio anytime soon nor visa versa.

Then there's tonal quality, which again u can improve upon but some guys arre always gonna have a cool sounding voice. Some of my favorite sounding voices aren't necessairly the greatest singers.

I think as far as singing lead goes its the tonal quality that really matters most of all providing u can basically sing in tune.
    It's really no difrent than guitar, you can be a great player and not have great tech. U can be a great singer and not have great tech. There is a point though where u gotta have at least enough tech to actually play the instrument.

I belive the most important thing u can do is learn to sing or at least improve your voice so your more useful. Guitar Players are a dime a dozen. One that can sing well enuff to help out vocalwise in a band is worth a buck. And one that can sing lead is priceless.

The first real working band I played in asked me when I audtioned, "Do U sing?", before I ever played a note. Basically I could of been the most brillant player on the planet and it didn't matter cause I was of no vaule to them if I didn't sing. First thing they did when they finally let me was to make me sing something.

Having said that, I'm not a great singer. I don't even consider myself a singer. In fact I'll go as far as to say I personally Think I really Suck. But I worked hard enough at it to least be useful.
    So it's ok to think u suck, just so long noone else notcies
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

Central Scrutinizer
    And just to show the world how bad one can really sing and still get away with it I posted this little clip.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

i'm a good singer, pretty good anyway, i sing in the car mostly, and not when it's 2 clicks from being off, i crank it about 1/4 to 1/2 the way, this helps me to be able to use the kind of air i need to really sing and not whisper

also, to add to what bash said about the breathing, not only will that help you with singing, it will help you in every aspect of your playing (yeah, breathing, i'm serious) think about it, if you breath hard like you just ran a mile, you'll tense up, to play guitar or any instrument, if your tense your not going to be nearly as good as if your loose and calm, you should practice this as much as you can, i like to pretend i'm a ninja, even in the heat of battle they stay calm (yeah, i know, that was stupid )

ƒúžŽ-box²ฮดุฐฒฤฮถดฤณฮดุฐฒ
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bash
    And just to show the world how bad one can really sing and still get away with it I posted this little clip.
    That is overhead not bad!
    "You don't fill somebody's shoes, you come with your own shoes and kick the door down!!!" - Zakk Wylde

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Boy
    You might try just practicing with music that you really know...I mean, tunes you've heard a million times. A chromatic tuner sounds rather cold and pointless, doesn't it? Your objective extends a bit beyond just being able to replicate a pitch.
    Absolutely.... By all means don't become discouraged if your voice never gets to be as good as your favorite singer. The fact is you will get better and you will be able to hold notes withing a range. Practice with your instrument and your range will improve. Guaranteed!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!