Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: I'm new...and uhh...I wanna play...Help me!!!

I'm new...and uhh...I wanna play...Help me!!!

Whats everyone...new kid here. Anyways, I wanted to start playing the acoustic guitar, and then eventually move onto electric. I already have an acoustic guitar, what should I do now? Thanks guys...

Hey LoonY, you picked the right place to start playing theres lots of people who can help you out here.

First of all youve gotta tell us if you want to learn music theory, or just strum a couple songs.

welcome to ibm,

Hey man, basically what I'm lookin for here is...I want to play songs that bands have already made...ya know what I'm talking about? And I also want to make my own music. So, whatever I need for that is what I want!!

thats very vauge m8, what kind of music?, do u wanna go into the thoery of music?
    to start with i just praxctices fingering and scales and some chords untill i becmae confident
    the pentatonics are good for finger practice and u get to know a cool scales aswel!
    ~ Chris ~
    ~ Boselecta242@hotmail.com ~
    (have msn messaanger :P add me! lets chat!)

Just pick a song you really like, and that doesn't seem to hard to play. Don't overdo the theory part to begin with, the important thing is to keep the enthusiasm alive. If you really wanna be serious about it, i'd recommend you find yourself a good teacher.

Yeah keep in mind guys we have a complete beginner on our hands here so he/she probably doesn't know what a pentatonic scale or anything else is.

My advice is first learn how to play from tab and learn the main basic chords. There are millions of lessons that teach this all over the net.

To get started on the right track I agree most likely it would be better to have some lessons.

Loony, like shred fan said ...best idea is probably to learn how to read tablature...which is a way of reading music..so u could read tablature for ur favorite song..and be able to play it on your guitar..by searching for it on google or something...
    So u can play all your fav songs which is what makes the guitar fun..and then enjoy writing ur own stuff...or messing around on ur guitar and seeing what comes out.
    This is probably where u'll want to learn all about theory..theory is just what helps u to understand your guitar much much better and the things u can do on it blah blah blah.
    Anyway have fun playing and don't lose your motivation being able to play guitar is a great talent..which can bring pleasure to u and other people
    Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead...You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try. Robert Leighton

"steveVAIrules" said it best. I totally agree with his advice.

Other than what he said, the only thing I can add is start with easy stuff, dont jump into something impossible. Not sure what you listen to, but alot of folk/acoustic rock stuff is good to start with, or if your into hard rock older stuff like ac/dc or black sabbath is a good starting point.

You might want to put slightly thinner/lighter gauge strings on your acoustic to make it easier to play, they can be a real killer for your hands if your just starting out.

pff pentatonics are all over the net :P but yea just find a song u like, find the tab and play it. if its to complex try and easier ne, till u find out where your at. usualy on tab sites like Powertab.net or Olga they have guides to reading tabs so just check one of them out
    ~ Chris ~

Yeah true you can find info on anything. But for a person who doesn't even know how to play a single chord, pentatonic scales are a big "what the hell?", remember how we all were when we first started?

i rember the first riff i learned was come as you are, i didnt know anything else so i just played that over and over hehe, oh yea and gaybar
    ~ Chris ~

Hi Loony,
    Welcome on this forum, I'm also like you a beginner.
    I started to play acoustic guitar since 4 months and later maybe I will also switch to electric guitar. I just started with searching on the internet fore some basic lessons, and started with the basic chords major and minor. Once that I could play these chords I tried to switch between these chords when I play, that will ask a lot of time . Now I'm just started with private lessons since two weeks, one hour in a week.
    My personal opinion(some people here are a lot more experienced than me to give you advice) is that you try to play with the help from the internet and take some lessons once you have a little experience with you're guitar.
    Good luck with you're guitar.