Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Functional hearing Bruce Arnold

Functional hearing Bruce Arnold

Hi!
    Does anybody know what is on those CDs by Bruce Arnold? Is it like functional ear trainer?
    2. Does he play a I-IV-V-I accord progression on a piano and then play a note?
    3. What is the difference between the beginner and advanced?

Thanks Steve

Hey Steve...

I've met Bruce Arnold a couple of times...
    Also, the leader of the big band that he is currently in (called the Jamie Begian Big Band) teaches at my school in Connecticut. I am in his Jazz theory/Jazz arranging class now, and we have used Bruce's book a bit.

-Yes, he plays a I IV V I progression in the key of C and then plays a note on the piano. You then tell what note he plays.
    -I believe the advanced program goes faster and expects more per level of the course than the beginner one does.

We did not do the whole book in class, so I'm not sure what else the book entails, but you should pick it up, because many people I know recommend it.

On a side-note, I believe that I IV V I excercise was originally a Charlie Banacos excercize.

I hope this helped

John Tuohy
    Resident Fusion Guitarist of CT

The "One Note" method is identical to the Functional Ear Trainer, except that since it's computer-based, you can change keys in the FET.

Does anybody know anything about Arnold's "Two Note" method?

If there is nothing different from Functional Ear trainer (FET) then I will stick with it He also has the Fanatics guide How does that work? I will buy it if It is really worthwhile but since FET does everything so far I see no Need.

Steve

Bruce Arnold's Ear Training Method

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your interest in my ear training. I just wanted to make a few comments because I'm always concerned about students learning properly. You can use the Functional Ear Training Program as a substitute for my one note ear training books. BUT I don't recommend this because 99% of the students I get have a skewed understanding of ear training and FET in my opinion doesn't give you enough information to apply important concepts properly. On the surface the exercises are simple but on other levels they are complex.

Most students have preconceived ideas about ear training or because of their limited understanding of music develop bad habits. From my teaching and learning experience I would say the chance of you messing yourself up by going this alone is very high. You may or may not be one of these students that develops a problem but if you are you are in for a very frustrating time because you will either hit a brick wall with your ear training skills or you will have to unlearn and then relearn ear training correctly.

Just to show my point, a comment has already been made that the FET can do the one note exercise in any key. You don't need to do this exercise in all keys because the way a note sounds against a key center in all keys is the same. i.e. The 3rd of key of C sounds the same as the 3rd of the key of G. You of course need to know what the 3rd is of any key in order to use this ear training effectively and there are singing exercises in the Fanatic's Guide and Theory Books to help you with this goal. Overall your best course is to contact me and ask for my guidance and not use a forum like this as means to decide what you should practice. If you check out either my artist site www.brucearnold.com or the publishing company www.muse-eek.com you will find that I willingly communicate with students whether they own a book of mine or not. Why not ask someone who has a lot of experience who is willing to help you? The most important thing is that you don't spend years practicing the wrong thing. This is one of the main reasons why aspiring musicians don't succeed in music.

I wish you all the best with your music and if I might make one general suggestion when learning music or for that matter learning anything. Always question your perception, for without a clear idea of what you are doing you will waste precious time and energy. All self examining artists find that their perception changes over time and therefore are always questioning whether their understanding of any aspect of music is 100% correct. What I most commonly hear from students who either study privately with me or use my books is "why didn't I realize this before" or "Why didn't someone tell me this before" Remember great musicians are 5% talent and 95% hard work. If you are working on something incorrectly you are squandering your precious energies, and inhibiting your chances in becoming a great musician.

Best Regards,
    Bruce