Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks to Thorsten, there now is... VIDEO

Definitely up for beta testing, i believe we should start with 80MB videos and see if theyre good enough to use...... right Guni?

Yo Eric,

glad to see the cam is working!

BTW the Van Halen stuff is awesome..how I love this band !!!

Thanks alot my friend!

TK

Hi guys, IŽm back... got some new stuff coming soon, and YES, pick-slide-video coming up !!! ( man, this will take some testing until I find the right angles and everything... )
    Thanks everyone...

Thorsten, glad ya like the DVD, I did too !!! I love early Van Halen too, ya know ( I guess you do... LOL )
    Eric

Pick slides and some beta-testing

So I did two quick videos where I do pick slides ( aka. "pick-scratches"... hope weŽre talking about the same thing here ).
    Actually, itŽs only one vid, but I encoded it using two different codecs...
    Lemme know which worked better...

The first one is encoded with Divx5.0.4 and can be downloaded here: http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...o/scratch1.avi
    ( approx. 2.8 MB )

And here is the same vid encoded with Indeo Video 5.11
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...o/scratch2.avi
    ( approx 4.8 MB )

Hope the videos will help ya to see what I am doing there. Note that IŽm holding the pick two different ways... pick the one that you feel most comfortable with
    Eric

oh, and make sure you watch those vids with the video display set to 100% ( original size )... if your player is playing back vids in full screen-mode, those will look even more fuzzy
    Eric

Can you show us a video of you doing the Chuck Berry duck walk. I can't seem to get that down. Thanks.

I could but IŽll save that up for an upcoming article... "22 cool stunts you need to know if you play rock"
    including detailed instructions on

- The duckwalk
    - The EVH jump off the drumriser
    - The Vai "laying on the guitar and acting as if youre having intercourse with it" stunt
    - The Nils Lofgren jump off the trampoline
    - The Yngwie Malmsteen "twirl guitar round yer neck" trick ( use a metronome ! )
    - The Nugent jump off the speaker cabinet which will convince everyone you just broke your neck
    Encore: 87689 ways of smashing your guitar !

Bet ya cant wait. Should be online in about 2031, unless I break my neck doing one of those stunts =)
    Warm regards
    Eric

Cool

Cool Eric... and thanks. I'll keep practicing it. What about when the tab wants to pick slide on the unwound strings?

I thought both vids looked the same.

The vids were supposed to look the same... the Indeo one was bigger though. I am trying to settle for a format that will work for everyone.. some people seem to have trouble with the divx-codec.

Sliding on unwounded strings... not that much of an effect, cuz the scratch sound mainly is due to the wound strings... works the same though, actually. DonŽt press too hard though, otherwise youŽll get weird noises cuz the pick will hit the fretwire...
    Eric

Beta-Testing

Hey guys,
    I am now experimenting with a Real Media-Converter... this one really decreases the size of the videos tremendously.
    While with avi and mpeg-format, those clips were around 3 MB, I now am down to about 300 KB.
    So... check out these two videos.
    I just took two short clips of me noodling some short licks ( recorded those sometime last week when I was trying out different presents on the cam ), and sent them trhough the converter.

I think most people have a Real Player installed anyway, so check them out... lemme know whether the quality anbd stuff would be ok, cuz I would like to include videos into future articles.
    Thanks
    Eric

A short lick from MorseŽs "Native Dance"
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...ideo/native.rm

Picktapping
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...deo/sboogie.rm

Hey Eric. Quality looks really good on those clips man.

If you are generally playing about with stuff to find what you think is best to use overall, i'd recommend giving the Windows Media Encoder a go. Its similar to Real Player/Real Media Encoder in that it produces files for streaming, but in .asf/.wmv format. You also get pretty high quality stuff, with the file size still being far smaller than standard mpeg/avi files. Its a while since i have used the encoders, about 2 years ago now, but back then the Windows Encoder actually produced higher quality videos than Real Media, and with even smaller file sizes. The downside to the Windows Media Encoder is that it is quite complicated to use. Anyways, here is the link if you wanna download it (BTW i am kinda assuming you havn't come accross it yet, if you have im sure you already know most of what i just said, lol)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx

I actually used to do a lot of video editing/encoding, so i may be able to help you out with stuff - im not an expert, but i know a fair bit! Just send me a message if you do need anything.
    "The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart.
    The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace."

Shaman
    thanks a lot, that is really helpful, IŽll look into this ASAP !
    What I am trying to figure out ( other than whether the quality of the clips is ok ) is whether people would mind if the clips are in RealMedia-format, or if theyŽd prefer asf, avi or whatever...

Anyway, thanks a bunch, IŽll give you a holler if I have more questions !
    Eric

No probs man! I would say that the ASF format would probly be the prefered one to most peole, simply because the format is played using Windows Media Player - which most ppl have not only for video files, but also for playing cds/mp3's and all the other stuff it does. It is also automatically installed with windows. Realplyer does pretty much everything Media player does, but Media Player seems to be more popular.

Having said that, it probly wouldn't make much odds - if real media turns out to be the best all round. A lot of people have real player, and it wouldn't be a major deal to download it if not. And yeh gimme a shout if ya need it. Good luck finding the 'right' file type!
    "The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart.
    The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace."

Downloading the Windows Media Encoder right now, IŽll lety a know whether I can get it to work =)
    Thanks again
    Eric

Shaman, you SOOOO rock !!!
    That was such a great recommendation... I downloaded and installed it, and fiddled around a bit.
    File sizes are even smaller... take a look:

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/video/tap2.wmv
    ( 675 KB )

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/video/tap3.wmv
    ( approx 360 KB )

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/video/tap4.wmv
    ( approx 205 KB )

Tell me what you think. Hope everything works.
    Loving it. Thanks again
    Eric