Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: speed mechanics

speed mechanics

purchased this book a month ago and have a question in relation to an excercise/comment made early on in the book. i dont have the book on me as im at work, but the excercise was just very basic single string picking, up down up down. after the excercise it was stated that this should be carried ot at out at least 132bpm before moving on to other techniques in the book. it did not state which notes (16th etc etc) at this speed he was refering to, but im just assuming (probably incorrectly)

i understand the theory in trying to get the picking hand used to the constant up down motion, but i am not really close to being able to play this at that speed. i know, im probably going to make myself sound like a bit of a muppet but im not quick at all.

my goal certainly is not to be able to play at blinding speed, i wont get there anyway no matter how hard i try (trust me..i try hard enough). i would just like to get some variety in my practices. it would be pretty disappointing if there is no point using alot of the patterns that i do because i dont have that up down motion at that speed. i just think i would get really bored playing scales on one string all day long.

Don't worry about not moving through the book. I have that book and what I'd do is, work with 'single-string' picking exercises one day, then do the 'starting on down-stroke' the next day, etc.

After awhile I would switch it so I'd be working on 'single-string' exercises for a week, then 'down-stroke' for a week, etc. I like having variety during my practice.

Yes, he is talking about sixteenth notes at 132 bpm for that exercise, I have the book. Also, don't be so hard on yourself, if you practice long enough you can be a great guitarist, just like anyone can. Having good self-esteem makes you play better (IMO). Rock on

well thanks for the encouragement. it is appreciated. obviously you havent heard me play . i practice on average an hour and a half a day, and its practically all based on picking excercises that i have either read or come up with myself. i find it really easy to come up with new things to work on to challenge myself with, althogh thats probably because everything on guitar for me is an instant challenge!!

the basic point for my post is that if i follow the book, i really shouldnt do any of the excercises after this one because i cannot do 16th notes at 132bpm. that basically cuts out a huge huge huge portion of my practice, and honestly, there are only so many things you can do on one string (i have probably opened up a can of worms now, i can just imagine the responses to that comment). its just i can see myself getting bored and unmativated before and during my practcie sessions if all i can do is single string excersises.