Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: low E string

low E string

this has both made me angry and baffled me at the same time for so long.

when i purchased my guitar (an Epiphone special edition I think, it's been a year so I've kinda forgotten) and i went to tune the low E, it buzzed when i played it. I soon discovered that this was because the string was laying against the frets. i didn't know what to do, i thought i'd have to get it fixed by a professional. but yesterday my boyfriend (who owns a bass) said that his did that too. so i was wondering if any of the rest of you guys' guitars do this? is it normal? or should i get it fixed?
    <<aBSTRUCE>>

Take your guitar to a guitar shop and get it "set up".

Typically this means checking the intonation (tuning) and adjusting the neck, action, etc.

But it might also mean adjusting the saddle for radius and profile, it might even mean making adjustments to the frets.

You should typically do this once or twice a year. And definitely don't change string guages without getting it reset at the shop.

Central Scrutinizer
    Did your guitar buzz before you tried detunning it to open D?
    Are u at concert pitch normally or do u normally tune down a half step? If so your actually tuning down 1 1/2 steps when u go to drop D.

Anyway, if your guitar is fine when it's not dropped down and most the stuff u wanna play (like newer stuff) is in drop D (or more) you'll definatly wanna have your guitar set up for that.
    If your guitar's fine in standard tuning, and the buzz is liveable, and your unsure if most the stuff u wanna play is in dropped tuning or not, then I'd leave it until you have a better idea of what you want out of your guitar.
    There's usually a little bit of give and take involved (like higher action) for setting your guitar up to play dropped stuff.

My guitar does fine dropping to D, but I'm at concert pitch and my action's a tad higher than most players like. If I'd tuned down a 1/2 step then drop to D it flaps around.
    But before you mess with anything be sure 1) u actually have a problem and 2) your sure of what u want.
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam