Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 most useful guitar instructional videos for U

10 most useful guitar instructional videos for U

hi guys, yesterday i 've gone to a store. it's amazing, i've found a lot of instructional videos available there but really, it turned me headache wheni must choose them! there's a lot of rare stuff also there such from blues saraceno, brian may, george lynch, bret grassed, shawn lane allan hplloworths and many more...

i really don't know what should i pick. can you help me? please, write down 10 most useful guitar instructional for you and if you would give the reason also. ( ex cause it's help me build the speed etc. ) thanx guys.

I've never actually bought any guitar videos (well except for Legends of Jazz but that's a performance DVD) but my friend let me borrow Joe Pass Solo Jazz Guitar although I had only been playing (if you could call it that) jazz for about 2 months so it was only good for blowing my mind.

I do plan to come back to it in a few months though now that I'm not so green :P That same tape had a bunch of Star Licks on it (some shred crap etc.) the only other one I liked was Larry Carleton's but his wasn't particularly useful to me either (again, could have been my lack of experience).

I'm kinda of interested in suggestions. I have noticed that the quality of Hot Licks videos seems to be pretty consistent and I'd say any of them is probably safe. What type of music do you like?

EDIT: Wait! I lied; I forgot I bought that Joe Stump Shred video from Berklee and it was horrible! Don't buy Chop Builder or whatever from Berklee, the only 2 good clips from it they put on the web for free at http://www.berkleeshares.com

-Dan
    Last edited by DanF; 01-09-2004 at 11:55 AM.
    "In improvised music you easily can tell who is a guitar player and who is a musician." - Maarten (fellow IBMer)

I always found books better for me. The only video I have is a Flamenco video by Juan Serrano.

However, I made the same mistake as DanF, and bought Chop buider by Joe Stump. It's a pieca of crap, and there is very little useful information there. The way it was advertised, was very misleading.

Anyway, I suggest you by a couple of videos of players that you like, or that play a style of music that you like.

Hi there....

depending on your preferences, you could try John Petrucci's Rock Discipline, or Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock

Both really good videos with great info... but, you will have to develop a lot of speed to make a lot of the info contained in them usable. Lots of sequences and patterns that only sound good when performed fast.

To see these guys pull some of this stuff off is really incredible, so for "knock your socks off" value, these are top notch.

Cheers

Yep, im not much into the videos but if i had tpo recommend one itd definitely be rock discipline with pertucci.

Rock discipline is very very good, it covers a lot of ground and you can use its concepts forever (I still use some of his approaches to practicing) the downside of that is that Petrucci's video can be extremely boring (specially if you're just starting out) Paul Gilbert's videos are a lot more fun (even though the concepts exposed there aren't as "eternal" Both videos are great and they both have helped me out, if you can, get them both and work on PG's first and then do JP.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

I never got into videos, mainly because here in Canada they are 2 or 3 times more expensive than the same book with a CD.

I second the Rock Discipline video. It's probably the best out there, and theres a review of it on this site.

If you want to learn how to play, then the metal method series gets my bet. It covers pretty much everything possible, and its how I learned to play. Enjoyable to watch as well.

But for 'expanding' on what you learn, rock discipline gets my vote, as does "Speed Kills" by micheal angelo batio. You might not like his playing, but he's definitly got a good video/dvd out when it comes to speed picking. Petrucci covers a ton of stuff in his, and while its pricey (I think about 50) its worth it. I saw it once online for 35 though, so shop around.

Hello, here's a review of most of the videos I own

"Speed Kills" by Micheal Angelo, it really helped my picking. His "Star Licks" Video is cool too. I also have his "Jam with Angelo" video, song #3 is worth the price of the video, it's an acoustic number. Mikey's not a bad teacher either.

John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" is cool, it's not terribly musical, but the excersises will help you alot. John's a pretty good teacher.

I have Paul Gilbert's "Intense Rock" and "Terrifying Guitar Trip" videos, bith are great. "Intense Rock alot of cool shredder ideas. "Terrifying Guitar Trip" is a bunch of stuff.
    Paul, of course, is an awesome teacher.

Ok I'm gonna get made fun of for this, but I own Chris Impellitteri's REH video. It's actually not bad, some of the licks are cool except he plays them so fast that you have no idea what he just did. Oh well, Chris is actually a good teacher too.

George Lynch's REH video. It's actually better than I thought it would be. George gives away some cool licks. He's not a great teacher though.

Yngwie Malmsteen's REH video. Ok, has a bunch of cool Malmsteen licks, but Yngwie is a horrible teacher.

I have Terry Syrek's "Shred is not Dead" video. It's good, has alot of advanced soloing concepts in it. Get the book too. Terry's a good teacher.

Oh this isn't a video, but Guthrie Govan's "Creative Guitar 2" is an awesome book, go get it, NOW.

I'm not big on videos but I absolutely love Rusty Cooley instructional CD's. I have all 3 and they are all great.

Posting Rights Suspended Anubis's Avatar
    and that it's not really fair for him to be called a "guitar hero" or "guitar god" when a real god like Shawn Lane was unbeknownst to a large population of the guitar playing world.
    I wonder why Lynch was more famous then Shawn Lane?
    I think I have the answer but I won't tell you.
    Lynch is one hell of a player.
    The best ever in the whole universe if you ask me.

I know Anubis! It's because in some way George WAS better than Shawn Lane and that's why he's more well known!

Take Justin Timberlake and Joe Satriani. Justin is obviously a FAR superior musician because he has millions and millions of fans where Joe probably has a million even (if that).

erm.

-Dan

PS Before anyone says it I actually do think Justin Timberlake is a hell of a singer (see: The acapella Beegees tribute they did at last years Grammies).
    "In improvised music you easily can tell who is a guitar player and who is a musician." - Maarten (fellow IBMer)

I am gonna be the stick in the mud again and will throw in my 2 cents.

OK, I have seen a BUNCH of vids... some of them I watched and actually sat down and did the exercises on there ( Intense Rock I and II helped me tremendously back then... maybe even inspired me more than they taught me stuff )
    I still like to watch a few of those vids for inspiration and...well, fun ( sure, itīs not as much fun as watching a concert video or a good movie, but hey, it can be quite inspiring to watch the Greg Howe-vid )

Now, the point is, a lot of the vids I didnīt consider that helpful. I mean, sure, if you have the money to buy a bunch of them, go ahead... youīll sure be able to pick a lot of great licks, ideas and inspiration from them.
    But then again, I sometimes doubt the actual "instructional value" of those vids.
    I hate to mention names, cuz itīs not fair. I donīt mean to be disrespectful in any way, hope thatīs clear. But take the Richie Kotzen-vid.
    Yes, there are some cool licks on there, but then again... I have that video, and I take it out occasionally and watch... the intro-solo and the outro-solo.
    Because those are amazing technique-wise, and watching them makes me wanna play. But then again, a lot of them were more like promo-videos. The Kotzen-vid is like "OK, hereīs some mindboggling riff, here it is slow, I am playing a D on the low E-string..." etc
    No chords are given, the licks are given away without any harmonic or rhythmic context. And showing them that slowly, note by note, well, that doesnīt really explain th idea behind the lick, or how to practise it. The notes can be seen in the TAB book anyway.
    Well, I donīt blame Kotzen. I have heard that many of those were done "on the fly", very quickly, without much time to prepare anything. greg Howe once mentioned that, so did Vinnie Moore.
    I am sure that some people consider those vids great. If youīre an intermediate or advanced player, or if youīre really interested and motivated, you can sure get something out of the vid.
    But the things that I often miss are:
    - No metronome or anything going on. Some of the subdivisions used really are tough or hardly possible to be used in the context of a song
    - No harmonic background. Sure, you could just go "K, this lick is in Eminor, so Iīm gonna play it over an E5". But there are so many cool things you can do by applying some "harmonically simple" riffs over some unusual chords. And some people just donīt have an idea yet how to figure out what chord to play over a certain lick
    - Often, thereīs no advice at all on how to practise that stuff. How the player himself developed and everything

Thatīs what I appreciated most about vids like the Petrucci-vid and Intense Rock, thatīs what makes them stanbd out for me.
    Petrucci actually shows how to use a metronome, and uses the metronome quite a bit throughout the video.
    He focusses on how to develop good technique.,
    Paulīs vid is a bit mor...flashy, you might say. But the PG-lick, the idea of working on very small segments like that and using them as "building blocks", in combination with him playing this stuff very accurately with a very dry (! ) or even clean ( !!!) sound is something I really appreciate.
    But anyway, just my opinion... take it for what itīs worth
    Eric

Originally posted by Anubis
    I wonder why Lynch was more famous then Shawn Lane?
    I think I have the answer but I won't tell you.
    Lynch is one hell of a player.
    The best ever in the whole universe if you ask me.
    Yuīre kidding, right ?
    That has got to be a joke =)

Because... youīre not gonna say that heīs more famous because he is a better player ? Well, because if you go by that, then there are a bunch of players who are better than Lynch cuz he is not really one of the 10 most popular players ever ( and please, not another Hammett-pun... )
    None of them was better. You canīt even compare them. Lynch played a different style of music than Lane, Lane was technically better, Lynch played in the context of vocal-songs ( rock, metal ) while Lane released instrumental stuff.
    Noen of them is or was better. If you wanna speak technique... Lane sure was faster, has a better knowledge of theory, and plkayed over some pretty sophisticated music.
    That doesnīt mean that Lynch is a worse player.. he has a very distionctive style himself, wrote some great riff, plays some great rock-solos.
    But his popularity sure also is based on the fact that he was in Dokken. For a while, they were pretty big, more so in the States than in other countries. They had video-clips, airplay on MTV and the radio, toured the world.
    Lane gained some popularity when he released "Powers oOf Ten" which was an instrumental album and pretty far away from AOR rock a la Dokken or Lynch Mob.
    I am sure he was aware that he wouldnīt get a lot of airplay or play stadiums with that kinda music. But he did it anyway.
    He never was in a hugely successful band ( Black Oak Arkansas wasnīt THAT successful ), never was feature in guitar mags a lot ( even though theyīre GUITAR MAGS, they preferred to cover players that were selling records with their bands... after all, someone has to buy guitar mags too )
    Anyway. Just my opinion. Yiou gacve yours, I gave mine. SSDD

Eric

Posting Rights Suspended Anubis's Avatar
    DanF wrote:
    I know Anubis! It's because in some way George WAS better than Shawn Lane and that's why he's more well known!
    In my opinion yes.
    Shawn Lane was a decent guitar player but I never heard many lines he played that I cared to much about. But most of all. He didn't write any songs that moved people.
    He is a bit like Holdsworth. A good guitar player but he writes music that people don't care to much about.
    George Lynch did some great songs with Dokken and some great solos and he continued to do the same thing as a solo artist.

Take Justin Timberlake and Joe Satriani. Justin is obviously a FAR superior musician because he has millions and millions of fans where Joe probably has a million even (if that)
    Yeah I think so. I rather listen to Justin Timberlake then Joe Satriani. Satriani gets boring after a few minutes but Justin has a better voice and also writes better songs. He is also a decent guitar player. From what I've heard Justin can shred on guitar. I think he might be a better guitar player then Joe Satriani.

EricV wrote:
    Yuīre kidding, right ?
    That has got to be a joke =)
    I never joke about guitar playing. I take this very very serious

Well, because if you go by that, then there are a bunch of players who are better than Lynch cuz he is not really one of the 10 most popular players ever
    Well I consider him to be one of the top 10 of the 80's and the 80's is the only decade that's ever been interesting to me.
    What happened before or after is something I don't care to much about.
    But as with everything else. This is all about taste and there is no right or wrong.

I just thought that what ajdowton was unfair and wrong.
    Even though I don't like some players I can see why they are popular and I would like to hear other guitar players play over some of Dokkens song and try to come up with solos as cool and good as Lynch did.
    Lynch has a certain kind of attitude and attack in his playing that I like and explains why he is as big as he is.
    He also knew how to write songs that was of interest to more then guitar players which is something Shawn Lane couldn't do.

George Lynch is a Guitar God and a guitar hero.
    The master of the universe on guitar to my ears.
    I think that when Lynch dies and goes to heaven God will say "Hey Shawn Lane now Lynch is here. Can you move down a bit"

Now I will go and listen to some Justin Timberlake. Guitar playing is fun but bores me pretty quickly.
    Justin rocks. Right Justin?