Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 most useful guitar instructional videos for U

HAve you seen Morse's power lines video? What's in it?

like Yngwies "watch me shred video " which is good for a different reason .You get the Riff at two speeds
    Isn't that the truth! That was so dang funny/depressing when I first saw it. He really is a fast mo-fo.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend

Yeah i here ya,

When Yngwie plays "Far Beyond the Sun" at the end of the Video , and starts soloing with his Teeth , it's great , you know he's having a blast , doing it .

After rereading this thread i see Eric V and A.J. Downtown , have seen most of the Vids out there . From looking on line i see most of the instructional Guitar Videos , are on the DVD "Young Guitar" Lable now . My guss is the REH and Hot Licks shred Videos with "Out of Context " Riff , with no backing track , or reference to a chord to play the Riff over are ,some of the "First Ever " Guitar Instructional Videos ,put on the market .

And speaking of the older videos I was wondering if anyone has seen the "Vinny Moore II"
    Video , i understand it has some good sequencing exercises in it .
    Last edited by Spin 2513; 02-14-2004 at 02:30 AM.

Resurrected thread of the day

Hey guys

I was going through my box of videos yesterday, and two videos I forgot to mention that helped me a LOT, or at least I consider very very cool and helpful are the two Scott Henderson videos by REH.

The first one is about jazz & fusion soloing... what scales and arps to use over which chord etc. He comes up with some very very cool lines there.

The second one is even better... it´s about phrasing. And Scott really explains those well. He compares soloing to speaking ( now I guess you can see where I got that comparison from, since I studied with Scott at the MI ),a nd he explains it very well.
    Even if you are not into jazz or fusion, this might be a great inspiration for you !!! ( He also plays a lot of bluesy stuff )
    There´s some stuff in there that I haven´t seen covered in any other video, with a very unconventional approach

That second vid inspired me greatly... it´s has a lot of the stuff Scott taught me at the MI... he´s a great teacher, a very cool, funny guy, and an amazing player.
    Maybe I should review those vids for ibreathe, huh ?
    Eric

There are a couple of vids that I have found very useful.

The B.B. King trio of DVDs from WB video are very interesting and offer a lot of great insight to his playing.

The Starlicks Tbone Walker with Duke Robbilard is good as well.

Both get into a fair amount of theory and structure and you can come away with some pretty solid licks under your belt.

Also, I have to give it up to Metal Method with Doug Marks. If you are a raw begginner and want to play hard rock... it works well.

Troy Stetina, the Alfred Essentials and Kieth Wyatt's vids are excellent as well. I've found lots of good advice and playing tips from these.

Sorry guys but I want to answer to Anubis who seems to consider himself a GOD when we talk about music....
    I don’t like your attitude man! I don’t disdain the controversy but it’s not a good reason to offend (insult) people (I refer to what you said to ajdowton). The polemic is good when is civil!

Shawn Lane was a decent guitar player but I never heard many lines he played that I cared to much about. But most of all. He didn't write any songs that moved people.
    He is a bit like Holdsworth. A good guitar player but he writes music that people don't care to much about.
    …..It's an offense again Lynch to be compared to a mediocre guitar player such as Shawn Lane.
    Shawn Lane is a mediocre player!!! Oh my god!!! You’re crazy! He was technically phenomenal…. he was different compared to most of the other guitarists, he probably came from another planet!! He toured across the US when he was only 14 when other kids play guitar in their rooms!!! ! Lane's playing is demented, original and exciting and that’s enough to me. He was just great.

Read what these journalists say about Shawn:

...Lane is a truly awe-inspiring guitarist, a man who can seemingly play anything that enters his head, and yet who shows remarkable restraint most of the time.
    Rick Anderson

…As much as fusion has grown stale over the years, this trio is pumping some stark vitality into it, keeping it alive. Shawn Lane is the man, and Hellborg has to sit back and marvel at what he's capable of.
    Michael G. Nastos

Guitarist Allan Holdsworth is widely considered to be one of the finest instrumentalists in all of jazz fusion, yet has never truly received the recognition that he so rightfully deserves.
    Anubis certainly doesn’t know that in 1972, Holdsworth had joined progressive rockers Tempest, appearing on the group's self-titled debut a year later.
    He doesn’t know that Holdsworth appeared on the Tony Williams recordings Believe It and Million Dollar Legs.
    He doesn’t know that Holdsworth joined up with French-English prog-rockers Gong, in addition to guesting on recordings by Jean-Luc Ponty, Bill Bruford, Gordon Beck, Jack Bruce, UK, and Soft Machine.
    So, he was quite busy before launching his solo career!! This means that Holdsworth is certainly a player with a great experience.
    I think he’s a true innovator and experimentor and he’s the master of legato technique so if you like it or not Anubis Holdsworth is a point of reference for many players.

S.Lane once said:

I saw Allan Holdsworth when I was about 14 in 1978. I never dreamed a guitar could be played like that and that really changed my whole life. If I hadn't had seen Holdsworth I may have just continued to play some blues and rock music and might have even given it up later or something, but when I saw him at 14, that really inspired me to try to play guitar in my own way at another level.

It’s just another level Anubis!! It’s not for everyone! I know sometimes this music it’s difficult to digest (it can be boring) but when is done well it can be considered pure art!

George Lynch is a Guitar God and a guitar hero. The master of the universe on guitar to my ears. I think that when Lynch dies and goes to heaven God will say "Hey Shawn Lane now Lynch is here. Can you move down a bit"
    Lynch is a good guitar player but as Ajdowton said I could name a hundred guitar players better than him……Shawn Lane is one of them.

Well I consider him to be one of the top 10 of the 80's and the 80's is the only decade that's ever been interesting to me. What happened before or after is something I don't care to much about.
    Anubis, you think you’re a GOD who can say what is wrong and what is right but all you care about is the music of ‘80’s !!? You’re too presumptuous!! George Lynch wasn’t the first musician to play on this planet so before him maybe there were groups and musicians that even influenced him!!! Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple (to name a few) surely played hard music before Dokken many years earlier but who cares about that!! We had the 80’s!! We had George Lynch!!

Zoso

Hey that would be great if you could do a review! I'd really like to know about the phrasing video, the only problem is I can't find a shop selling it in England !

how about Stanley Jordan's " guitar master class" n Allan Holdsworth's video? thx u

Aww I wish I had been here earlier to join the fray, nevermind, let's just say it should be pretty obvious who's side I'm on.

Current Listening:
    Gong - Expresso II

1: JP's Rock Discipline - I think this is the best technique video I've seen. Michael Angelo's video had some fast licks and he explained different fast playing styles well, but as far as dedicated exercises go, the only thing he offered was trem picking on one string. Rock Discipline covers everything from the minute you pick up your guitar to the minute you put it down - chromatic exercises, scale fragments, combining scalar modules, alternate picked arpeggios, sweep picking, even some chord stuff. Book's good too - you don't get to watch him playing the exercises, but there's more notation and it's easier to work with the big pages than with the VHS/DVD size booklet.

2: Rusty Cooley's Shred Guitar Manifesto - This blew me away. I still don't know what the hell I'm doing when I listen to this guy - if I had heard the cd before the video I wouldn't have believed it. As it was I still had to go get my vision checked after seeing SGM for the first time.

3 & 4: Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock 1 and 2 - very good in terms of playing cleanly and with good articulation, tons of cool licks, and some very useful guitar tricks - some shows just need a rabbit pulled out of the guitar.

5: Marty Friedman's Melodic Control - when I started improvising it was one thing to have a rhythm part to back me up, and another thing entirely to solo on my own with only a drum track, or only a drummer and bassist - before this I didn't really get a grasp of how well outlining chord tones would improve my playing over changes.

6: Frank Gambale's Monster Licks and Sweep Picking - before this video I could play fast but not for very long periods of time. After playing it through a few times I can play fast for just about as long as I need to, provided I don't start cracking up thinking about his cheerleaders trying to keep up with him.

7 & 8: Shawn Lane's Power Licks and Power Solos - Like Rusty Cooley's video, these left me with a hell of a lot to shoot for in terms of technique.

9: Allan Holdsworth's Only For The Curious/Just For The Curious - I hadn't given scales much thought until this, before I had just used target notes and threw in some passing tones, but this helped me think of things in a whole different way.

10: Vinnie Moore's Speed, Accuracy, and Articulation - helped my picking, and gave me a different perspective on modes.

That's it for me.

Rock On,
    The Jeffinator

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    Ok, guys, here we go...

There are certain videos that definitely made a huge impact on my playing...most of them have been discussed here, so i'll just name them...in case there's one that hasn't been named here, i'll be glad to tell about it...here we go, kiddos...

Brett Garsed's Rock Fusion

Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock Series

Greg Howe's Hot Licks: In this one, Howe covers lot of unusual but really helpful techniques techniques, like barring with your fingers...also there are a whole bunch of different arpeggio ideas that can be applied in the REAL WORLD.

Shawn Lane's Power Series ---> NOT TO MENTION THAT I'M A VERY BIG FAN OF SHAWN LANE..."hope you don't mind about that, guys".

Cutting Loose with Reb Beach: For those who love AOR music and tasty guitar playing, you should check this one...Reb's an amazing guitarist, and he's very down-to-earth...he covers a lot of ideas, such as tapping rythm playing and whammy bar manipulation, to name a few topics...he's very detailed when it comes to explaining things, and he's quick to point out that that HIS PERSONAL APPROACH...Love the Intro Song, it has some whammy thingie in the riff...you just gotta love it...plus, it's very ear-catching!!!

Ritchie Kotzen's Hi Tech Rock Guitar: This is one of the newer Kotzen clinics...he plays a nice telecaster on the video and explains sone interesting fusion-oriented licks, as well as many other techniques covered in his virst video...a cool thing he does in the video is that he explains and plays the intro song from beginning to end...the song's called Flashback, and it's a hell of a challenge...it's fusion!!!

Marty Friedman's Melodic Control

Michael Lee Firkins's Mastering Lead Guitar: For those who loved the Saraceno video, you have to take a look at this monster clinic done by a monster player...for those of you who don't know who's Firkins, he's the one that did the song "The end of the beginning" in Jason Becker's Perspective album...going back to the video topic, the guy covers a lot of different styles and techniques, from fiongerpicking to whammy bar manipulation, rythm playing and shred techniques and licks...pretty interesting, and a truly learning experience, even when his teaching style can be a lil' boring...not everyone was born to be a guitar tutor, i think...

Well..that lil' list is actually top-of-mind...there are, of course, more videos, it's just that i can't remember about them..if i do, i'll be glad to post it with a lil' review if necessary...

David

I was dissapointed with a lot of videos I had to chance to watch. A lot of them are just recycling of already known material, especially videos from various "shred" virtuosos. Exceptions may be Gilberts and Vinnie Moores videos, they are really usefull, and give some basics to build on.

Lot of people raves about "Rock Discipline" video, but it was of no use to me. Like Petrucci was trying to put too much in it and ended saying nothing at the end.

On the other hand most usefull videos I had chance to watch were Eric Johnson videos, they really made me realise how many new doors are there to open, highly reccomended.

Watching Lee Firkins video was like "Hey this guy has really unique style, great playing". And it was clear that most of it is useles if I do not want to play in that specific style. At least for me. Great vibrato arm technique!

Gambale is nice. I could accurately say that it was half-good for me as after working on his exercises I have incorporated sweep picking in a very strange way, I mostly sweep while descending, and tend to play alternate when ascending, somehow it works best for me that way.
    The Gentle Art Of Milking Rosewood...for a living
    milking-rosewood.com
    myspace.com/dushansvilokos

Here is a free Marty Friedman video lesson:

http://www.freelicks.net/Valley_of_eternity1.htm

Both of Scott Henderson helped me/is still helping me and I highly recommend them.

The Holdsworth video is fun for those who want to study his approach to playing. For funk, you don't get a better video than Funk Rhythm Guitar by Ross Bolton. For country playing, Brent Mason's video is cool and for jazz/blues, I'd recommend Robben Ford's videos.

Have anyone seen the new Garsed DVD?

I've gotta get hold on that Michael Lee Firkins video, as my relationship with the whammy is similar to the one I've got with my... my... uh.

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misery
    Have anyone seen the new Garsed DVD?
    Hopefully, it will arrive at my door in the coming days...i ordered straight from Brett's site (well, i didn't, actually...i told my best friend to order it, since she lives in Australia, and Brett's living over there atm)...i'm dying to watch that video, since i'm a fan of the Rock Fusion one...

David