Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Rock Performers Guitar Method

Rock Performers Guitar Method

Does anyone remember these instructional books , and transcriptions , i saw Metal Method , is still around .
    The Rock Performers Method was written by Jim Gleason , and they were allways advertised in Guitar for the Practicing Musician , some of his stuff was Transcriptions , but there were method books , too.

I have the Chord Proggression Book , and it covers alot of rock and Jazz 7th chord voicings, and movement .
    I was wondering if anyone is familiar with these books , and if so how are the other ones? i only have the one .

it used to be advertised in GFTPM , i'm not sure if GFTPM , is still in print ... anyone?

I have the 3 cassette tapes to Rock Performer's Guitar Method Book 1. And Note-For-Note tape 14 (Stones/Beatles). I can't seem to find the book (if there ever was one).

I've got a bunch of those Note-for-note tapes. I don't remember there being a booklet either. I think Guitar for the practicing musician is called Guitar One now.

Looks like it's available here:

http://www.guitarencyclopedia.com/

The Rock Performer's Guitar Method, Official Website

I bought the complete series of the books at the time when they first came out. I believe there are 4 Theory Books, and 1 Chord Progression Book. When first learning these at a very young age, i was seriously intimidated because it is literally college level material, very detailed, extraordinarilly well put together. Each book contains Lessons and practice exercises to help you not only learn, but put the material to use along with the Cd's, as opposed to thousands of theory books that just throw the information at you without offering a true understanding of where it all comes from.
    Since then, i have purchased hundreds of theory books, and nothing compares, honestly. Furthermore, I was well prepared by the time I went to College, which as a result of utilizing the lessons, I had breezed through...I could continue, as well as elaborate for hours about these books, though i hope what i have offered is enough, i am sure you get the idea.
    Anyway, i really didn't want to go through all the trouble of signing up just to reply to this, but for years i had searched for a link to the Official Website, always coming up with nothing. I eventually stumbled upon it, and wish to share with anyone interested. So here it is:

http://www.guitarpm.com/

Enjoy,

~johnny~

These books will give the perfect method how to make good music.

Berklee Press A Modern Method for Guitar - Volume 1
    Chords & Progressions for Jazz & Popular Guitar

Rock Performers Guitar Method - Jim Gleason - Now on Amazon

ROCK PERFORMERS GUITAR METHOD: JIM GLEASON

I have noticed that many are looking for a way to purchase these method books, and although, most may already have found a way, I included a link above for those who haven't yet. I am in no way affiliated with the company, and only offer this information because I truly believe that anyone who wishes to excel very quickly, and may not be able to afford lesson after lesson, these will most definitely keep you busy for a long time, and teach you much more than you would in years worth of private lessons on the average. In addition, to help those in their endeavors, and desire to achieve the greatest results as a musician/guitarist. In other words, no gain for me, all for the benefit of the dedicated artist.

ABOUT THE BOOK(S):
    At first glance, the books are very intimidating. However, if followed from beginning to end, it will help you develop an excellent practice regime, time management, a solid foundation in theory, reading, technique, creativity, as well as a variety of styles. These books are the most thorough I have ever seen in the 20 years I have been playing. But, don't just take my word for it even though I have purchased thousands of theory and technique books, Cd's, etc there may be better out there, just nothing I have personally reviewed.
    FROM BEGINNER TO COLLEGE LEVEL MATERIAL:
    I purchased these books at the age of 17, and after completing them, I had attended college for Music, and it was like review. Therefore, receiving a 4.0 as a result. Also, his approach on teaching is better than any professor I had studied under. Honestly, I had professors coming to me, asking me if they could use some of the methods I had shown them, and I became the very first tutor for Music at my college. I just cannot say enough good about these books.
    CONCLUSION:
    It surprises me that they have received so little credit in comparison to most of the Methods out there that offer you a million scales, tons of information, but no explanation, or attempt to show one how to apply what they are learning. Finally, as with anything, it takes blood, sweat, tears, and is up to you which will determine how quickly you excel. The information is provided, all the tools you need, so, practice, practice, practice!