Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Habits when playing guitar.

Bad Habits when playing guitar.

I thought we could share our bad habits... Or wrong techniques and discuss what would be better? I've been playing a year and one month and I have a few bad habits since I taught myself. Anyway. One of them is using a finger per fret... Which I just started doing since Wednesday(G-Teacher told me to practise) I'm practising this on scales... Progressing And another is not using alternative picking Alternative picking is where you pick up and down isn't it? Cause I'm only doing down picking and sometimes I do a bit a up picking heh. What excersises are up there? Any other advice would be helpful... And any other people with bad habits or anything please reply and join the thread
    See Ya.
    Could you be there?
    'Cause I'm the one
    who waits for you...
    Or are you Unforgiven II?

As for me, two words....Bad Bending. Also, using economy picking unknowingly and thinking I was using perfect alternate picking the whole time. That of course is once I got past the 6 month "all downstrokes" phase.

Interesting thing I heard by Paul Gilbert though, not sure if he was joking but it was something along the lines of .......
    "For the first two years I was completely self-taught and I made a lot of mistakes. For example, I only used one string - the low E, I only used one finger (middle) and for some reason I only played upstrokes".

Even if he was exagerrating it is very true that self taught beginners often make many embarrassing mistakes that seem to be fine at the time. Ah well, you live, you learn.

Laiho's heir guitarist wild_child's Avatar
    i used to use my middle finger all the time too!! ah there's hope for us all..
    another bad habit of mine is doing legato techniques faster than my picking, especially in hammer on-pull off triplets, that throws me off beat big time i purposely chose a grade 6 piece from rock school with loads of it in though and my timing has improved dramatically!
    "Remember, it's all good, everything goes and there ain't no damned rules or boundaries. So get off! Tear it a fresh ***, tear it hard, rip gaping holes in it! Make tracks, leave marks!

"forever stronger than all" - Dimebag Darrell

My worst habit is drinking beer from 2L PET while I get to play my guitar. The session duration wholly depends on how long it lasts me to drain it out. My excessive economy picking doesn't worry me as much.

Zatz.
    Zadd9 -> A6 -> T#9b5 -> Zmaj7

I have this bad habit putting my left hand thumb over the fretboard.. It makes it tougher for me to switch chords when its hangin way over rather then being place firmly behind the fretboard.. I picked it up from learning songs where its easier to fret the low E with your thumb and now it seems to always be hangin over especially toward the neck I dont really do it when I'm high up closer to the bridge.. I'm workin on it .

One of my bad habits were that i only used economy picking and i found myself in some situation where i couldnt use it. So, i had to learn to alternate picking which is like starting from scratch again. Bending is also a problem when i get too much into the mood, i just the bend the whole string until it breaks or something.

1. Sitting down to practice, but ending up just noodling around.

2. Only learning bits of songs - not learning them all the way through. I'd also add trying to learn songs that are too technically difficult for me to play at the moment, Lol.

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart.
    The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace."

Ibanez Fan
    Originally posted by hol0point
    I have this bad habit putting my left hand thumb over the fretboard.. It makes it tougher for me to switch chords when its hangin way over rather then being place firmly behind the fretboard.. I picked it up from learning songs where its easier to fret the low E with your thumb and now it seems to always be hangin over especially toward the neck I dont really do it when I'm high up closer to the bridge.. I'm workin on it .

i too do the old "hendrix thumb" thing now and again and i never actually did it first off, i started doing it about 5 years into my playing, just if im playing a D chord and im standing it feels real comfortable to hold the thumb over the fret board

my other bad habbit is this, for a whole year i practiced a descending 3note per string scale, and at the end i nailed it good, but i never practiced the ascending version of it, so now i can do a low note to high note run like a bat out of hell but my high note to low note 3nps scales...LOL im working on it tho

Hello,

I've been concentrating on my technique, so I don't have problems there like gripping the neck incorrectly, yet ,I'm sure I prob will at some stage
    My main prob is i want to try and play things that are beyond my abilities, the first song tab I sat down with was an acoustic song called "Burn For You", sung by John Farnham, written by Phil Buckle(Aussies will prob know who he is) and played by Brett Garsed, using his hybrid picking technique. Beautiful song but too difficult for me atm.

Leah

Thumb over the neck ain't a bad habit in my book (unless yer playing classical guitar I guess). Hendrix did it, SRV did it, Angus Young does it. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. It actually helps with big bends, and also allows easy fretting and muting of the bottom strings when necessary.
    Peace

having your thumb over the neck all the time could be bad though it could lead you to arching your wrist too far and cause a stress injury over time?

Leah

Originally posted by LHSV
    having your thumb over the neck all the time could be bad though it could lead you to arching your wrist too far and cause a stress injury over time?
    Well, for me, I don't have it over the neck all the time. Sometimes, its in the classical position on the back of the neck. But really, it feels quite natural and relaxed when I have my thumb draped over the top, so I think I'm prolly OK.
    Peace

ok

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    1. Not bothering to tune the guitar at the beginning of every practice session and not checking it from time-to-time during.

2. Not paying attention to tension in the left (or right) hand until it's too late.

3. Not bothering to actually correct errors and kill 'em, but just ignoring them.

4. Playing too fast.

Number one habit has been totally eradicated, thankfully. Number two habit has cost me the ability to practice for several weeks.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

One terrible habit that i have is bending my right hand index finger too much when picking. Therefore it comes into contact with the strings every now and then, sometimes giving me unexpected pinch harmonics....but most of the times it just messes up my picking