Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Spy guitar

Spy guitar

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any info on the lost art of spy guitar. I am looking for good recordings and lessons of stuff other than the James Bond theme peter gunn theme ect. I think this style of playing is somewhat of an untapped resource and a style I would love to learn more about. Anyone have any lessons or links to good sites or even knowledge about this stuff? Maybe Ibreathe could do an Article on it. That would be sooo cool.

Josh

i can dig it , yeah . the jazz sound of peter Gun

Henry Mancini was the guy who wrote that ,Peter Gun and other "Soundtrack" theme songs. Mancini wrote alot with horns .
    The Hellcasters , Night of the Living Shred , has a great version of that . That CD is real good to , if you don't already know about it . Country, rockabilly , shred mix .with 3 very different guitar players .

Murphys Law had a song called "Secret Agent Skin" on the "Back with a Bong" release , which is a Hardcore/metal/joke album

Ramones live had "Spiderman" that's kind of a "Spy" song

Check out da link

Mancini Album
    Play Loud

Here's a handy sort of "template" to create "Instant Spy Guitar Music"

Take any "Surf Guitar" type song in C major, you know The Ventures et. al....now - simply replace the original bass line with an E pedal tone, either quarter notes or straight eighths...
    Now, because of the E pedal tone, you have given the tune a phrygian sound and most importantly- you now have a m2 interval between the 1st and 2nd scale degree!

Voila - "Instant Spy Guitar"

Hey Spin,

Yeah I love the Hellecasters, They do a good version of the peter gunn theme, they kick ***, I wish i could do some of thier crazy bends and stuff. Hard to believe jerry is not using a b bender! Thanks for your reply. I didnt think anyone was going to write back! I have started writing my own spy songs now, and I think I am starting to get the hang of it. Lots of altered chords and chromacticism mixed with a loose kind of 12 bar blues pattern! I would love to learn the real stuff though, from guys like tony motolla and al ciaola, they really had their **** together. Thanks again for your help russ and spin

Josh