Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Idea for a group effort:

One thing I learned from the last time I tried a group thing is be patient.

So everyone who want in on this let me know within one month, then we'll get started for three or more months.
    IF the group decides to do more exercises we'll add some more.

James
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Szulc's Site

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    I'm on board--as your token Rank Beginner representative
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Hey James, great experiment there but I think the real challenge is to... not get INSANE while trying to learn the patterns...

Seriously, I think itīs a good technical exercise but in "real life" I wouldnīt use strict alternate picking for that one, like you said, the odd grouping of 9/8 and three string pattern alternates the first pick stroke of each position which makes it very hard to memorize.

I added a picking tab I would use to play it fast.

But again, this is a great exercise for those who arenīt familiar with 3 note per string patterns, the modal system or alternate picking.

Cheers
    TK
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes...it's a challenge. Even for me, having no AP discipline, it's tough making those string-to-string transitions and still do AP. Fun though. I'll be blasting thru the 40 bpm barrier any day now!

I finally memorised the first excersise.. now its time to spend some quality time with the metronome . We'll see how it goes..

hol0

Assuming I jump on board with these exercises, how should I be using my brain while doing them? Is the best thing to be thinking of the scale degree if each note while playing them, or what?
    Peace

Seriously, I think itīs a good technical exercise but in "real life" I wouldnīt use strict alternate picking for that one, like you said, the odd grouping of 9/8 and three string pattern alternates the first pick stroke of each position which makes it very hard to memorize.
    I Agree, but for an experiment it is a good exercise.

I find it interesting that you would start this with an up stroke, I guess most people would use a down stroke (maybe cause you are a lefty?).
    I am curious what your BPM for something like this is, initially and also for your EP version.
    I can only assume you have worked dilligently on you AP technique for many years, since I was so impressed with has fast you learned that little piece I posted a few months ago.

I am guessing you r initial BPM for this is gonna make me wanna quit ( or maybe give mee something to struggle for).
    Maybe you will have some pointers for those of us who have never achieved the speed you are so comfortable with.

Is the best thing to be thinking of the scale degree if each note while playing them, or what?
    If this doesn't tax your nervous system too much!
    I think whilst trying for a speed record you should just think of making through, but whatever works. Thinking the scale degree is definately a good idea for a long term strategy.
    Szulc's Site

Originally posted by szulc
    If this doesn't tax your nervous system too much! I think whilst trying for a speed record you should just think of making through, but whatever works.
    Heh heh.... you don't know how slow I play.
    Peace

Originally posted by Danster
    Heh heh.... you don't know how slow I play.
    As soon as I can get through it at an even tempo with no fret buzz and it sounds 'just okay', I'll load up an MP3. I think if you (and others) hear my best efforts, and witness my extraordinary courage in actually publishing them, many folks will be totally okay with participating.

I just realized moments ago that I'm not sure how to correlate beats-per-minute with 9/8 time--I'm not actually sure what it means. Since these are triplets, is it three beats to the bar? For each measure I'd count "1 and a 2 and a 3 and a"--actually I'd have chosen 3/3 for the time signature.

Simple questions like these certainly do reveal how much we don't know, don't they?
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 02-06-2004 at 09:31 PM.

The idea of tabbing this out in 9/8 was to give every 1/8th note ne metronome click, if that is a problem play it in 3/4 time with each note being and 1/8th note triplet.

In 9/8 it is 123 456 789 in 3/4 it is 1aa 2aa 3aa or 1trip-let 2trip-let 3trip-let.
    As soon as I can get through it at an even tempo with no fret buzz and it sounds 'just okay', I'll load up an MP3.
    More mportantly make a note of your BPM at the first sign of clean execution.
    Szulc's Site

Hey Yeah , it's pritty good .I mean they're just three notes per string scales , just like the Paul Gillbert video , Intense Rock I.

I'd do it , how would i go about recording my self playing an exercise through an amp ,on to the computer?

i guss i can do that with Media Player ... by plugging a mic in to my stereo , running an Auxillary line in to the Mic IN , on the Computer , i know i can get the signal in there , but how do i record it into a sound file ?

I yo are using Window you can use sound recorder. Then get some MP3 conversion software to convert it to MP3.
    Szulc's Site

Yeah okay 3/4 makes sense. A click-per-note isn't a problem, but I'd just prefer click-per-triplet. I think I'll record the click-track, too.
    ...make a note of your BPM at the first sign of clean execution
    There's the gauntlet, then!

Since I have created confusio by using 9/8 here is the fisrt exercise in 3/4 with enough of the picking notated to demonstrate the exercise, just repeat this picking pattern.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Szulc's Site

I mean, all we're doing here is running up the first 9 notes ,of Mode Patterns, Diatonic to C Major , Starting with an E Phrigian ,3 notes Per String Pattern .

The Example Thorsten posted was very reassuring , ' cause that's exacty the way i would Pick it , for Super High Speed Playing .
    Last edited by Spin 2513; 02-06-2004 at 10:46 PM.