Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: an article idea

Hey, does GIT have dorms?
    "From now on we are enemies... You and I."

Well, Eric makes the great point about schools. They offer one-on-one teaching that the internet or books can't offer, even with forums like this. Also the #1 reason (imo) to go to music school is the contacts you make. You'll be playing everyday all day as mentioned, but it's also a great place to find bandmates, meet industry people, and make contacts in general who will actually help you to find a job when your out. You can sit at home playing your metronome all day and get just as fast as if you went to GIT, in fact, they offer many of their lesson books in print nowadays to the public, but you wouldn't build up the repetoire of people you know, which probably becomes the most useful thing in the long run.

HEY AGAIN!

that first article was awsome, i was just wondering if anyone else was writing one? maybe a Berklee one?

if not that's cool too i spose, i'm so happy we got the first one!

Thanks!
    -Oakleaf
    http://intellectualmusician.com the world's fastest growing collection of music lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakleaf
    HEY AGAIN!

that first article was awsome, i was just wondering if anyone else was writing one? maybe a Berklee one?

if not that's cool too i spose, i'm so happy we got the first one!

Thanks!
    Oakleaf,

as far as I know, Guni is working on the next one... I think itīs supposed to be a small series.
    Eric

PS: Glad you liked Part 1

I just wanted to let everyone know I'm writing a section on doing the "traditional" college route for a degree in classical guitar, since that's what I did. Hope to be done with it soon...

Randy,
    very cool. Looking forward to reading that.
    Warm regards
    Eric

Ok, I finally wrote my article and posted it on my site. I'd give a link, but that's frowned upon, so there's a link to articles from my home page, which is www insertmyusernamehere dot com

The article is called "Music Theory and Rock Guitarists"

thanks Randy!
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend

I have the music form that you have to give to your teachers to fill out , its for berklee, heres the stuff they ask on the sheet for the reference:

Intonation : as in being in pitch with for example something like unison bends , accurate half step , whole step bends? stuff like that?

technical facility : mega chops , sweep chops, or being able to properly pick cleanly but just isnt at 550 BPM lol

rhythmic notation : would a good example be , being able to play rhythms out of "advanced modern reading text" ?

melodic notation : ....single note lines , like "berklee modern method 1" ?

chord knowledge : maj , min , 7ths or every single kind of chord

sight reading : i guess just keep on practicing reading with metronome?

improvisation : get one of those books like "101 licks to know" so you can have a sort of starting point or just find the key a songs in a practice it until it sounds good?

stylistic interpretation : what the hell does that mean ? they way an individual makes means to an end with learning something?how the way they learn something differs from the others?

ensemble experience : ....hmm dont think i have that lol

notation in treble cleff

notation in bass cleff : i have a bass and a bass amp and lots of time and the notes on F cleff memorized , but whats a good books to get a good study of postions on the neck related where they are on the staff? cannot seem to find a book on that

key signatures : being able to look at a staff that has the # or b symbol's and knowing what the key is ....or .....what ?

major scales : knowing the notes in every key for major?

minor scales : knowing the notes in every key for major?

intervals : knowing the sounds , the whys and hows of them? explain if you can

triads : ....power chords? heh.... dont know much on this subject

seventh chords : hmm also lost on why seventh chords have a column of their own but major and minor chords don't

well hope that helps, because according to this reference form , im lost! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lexavier

triads : ....power chords? heh.... dont know much on this subject

seventh chords : hmm also lost on why seventh chords have a column of their own but major and minor chords don't
    Because, minor and major chords are also triads.
    "Go without practicing one day, and you know. Go without practicing two days, your friends will know. Go without three days, and everyone knows."

Quote Originally Posted by xenor
    Because, minor and major chords are also triads.
    and im officially a jackass lol

the second part of my article is ready at my site

Smile

Hey, hate to bother everyone by bringing this topic up again ("resurrection" if you will) but I wanna attend GIT.

And here comes the problem: I'm in my final year of school and I wanna get an undergrad degree in architecture before I embark on an epic journey to quench my musical thirst (y'know if only just as a plan B coz of the notorious nature of the music industry :P)

So:

1. Is it possible to give my SAT's after attending an arch. college? Like not IMMIDEATELY after finishing school?

2. I'm from India [now that's a whole other problem in itself but I'll save that for later ] so what sorta system is there for foreign students?

3. Does GIT have dorms? I know its been asked before but it IS kind of an important question.

4. While I'm attending GIT, what am I gonna do? Like financially? Hell, 'the frick am I gonna do for food?

Thanks for answering in advance

PS: I talk too much, I know