Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Slayer riff and muting

Slayer riff and muting

I am having this problem with a riff from "black magic", a slayer song. The open string notes are 16:th and the powerchords are quarters and 8:ths.

Q=195
    4/4

|------------------------------|---------------------------|----|
    |---------9-------------9-10-|---------9------------5-7--|----|
    |---------7-------------7--8--|---------7------------3-5--|----|
    |-0-0-0-0----0-0-0-0---------|-0-0-0-0----0-0-0-0-------|----|

The problem is that I get way to much noise from the powerchords so the muted open low E notes kinda "drowns". I have tried playing the chords with my index and and ring finger and then as soon as i plasyed it putting down the pinky to mute. It works pretty good but not enough. Is there a better way to mute or maybe I just have to practice more? I usually dont play this stuff, mostly lead but I liked this song so I thought I'd try to learn it. Hope someone can help me.

Btw. I put the riff in powertab hoping to get one of those nice looking pictures I've seen other people posting here but all I could save to was an ASCII file. Is it because i have an old version (1.7) ??

for the powertab prob:
    don't use the "save as" function. there is a "export as" function where you can choose jpg, bmp.. and others. unfortunately i don't have a clue how to insert it in a post yet. :-(

for the muting prob:
    after playing the power chords it should be enough to just release the pressure to the chord but leaving the left hand fingers on the strings to mute.