Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest Solo?

Question Fastest Solo?

Anyone know which guitar solo is the fastest ever?
    "Nothing is true. All is permitted."
    "Hassan X. Sabba"

Stoners live, stoners die, but in the end we all get high.
    When I die bury me deep. Plant some wee by my feet.
    Put some papers in my hand and i'll roll my way to the promised land.

Paul Gilbert uses a drill during "Daddy, Brother,Lover, Little Boy" I'd vote for that.

Originally posted by flathead
    Paul Gilbert uses a drill during "Daddy, Brother,Lover, Little Boy" I'd vote for that.
    A Drill? I have to hear this... How does it work? Did he tape a pick on the end of it?
    "It's a long way to the top if your going to Rock N' Roll!"

Well my answer was somewhat facetious, but yeah he somehow attached it to a drill and used it to tremelo pick (I think thats the correct term) a little melody line during the solo.
    IMO it was "ok" but probably not as "cool" as you may be thinking.

Fastest solo...hmm...I would have to say Buckethead or Shawn Lane. Shawn Lane was an awesome guitarist and was said among notable and accomplished guitarists to have the most NPS (note per second) ever played. I have seen some of his videos and I would not argue with anyone. He was an amazing guitarist...too bad he passed away.

Micheal Angelo Batio is in the books for being the official worlds fastest guitarist. If you've ever seen him play you'd probably agree, either with Nitro or Solo. Add to that he's playing a 4 necked guitar, and going over/under and playing it like a piano and well...you get the picture. My vote goes for him.

Isn't Marcus Paus the fastest guitarist in the world?

Heres a quote from syndicated music critic, columnist Michael Deeds from April 2003- "No offense to Paus, but he´s so fast that it´s more slop than shred.
    I´m more impressed with technically superior speed freaks like Michael Angelo and Shawn Lane".

It's not about who's fastest. Once you get to a certain point ie: Yngwie, Micheal angelo batio, Paul Gilbert, Petrucci, Thorsten Koehne ..... it doesn't matter. Anything faster than that just sounds silly and terrible because theres no room for vibrato, or phrasing unless you just listen to tremelo picking all day. I'm a shred head and I still find stuff like that sounds stupid.

Apparantly you are correct though. Paus does, (or did) hold the Guinness book of world records title. I was going according to Guitar worlds 'scientific' rating of the fastest, and there, MAB was first.

Thumbs up As I Am

D T's latest album first track.
    Petrucci scared the hell out of me. it's on his web site to hear it solo..
    Mark Hitchen

Oh yeah, I know Paus is an awful musician, anything faster than then Yngwie or Romeo or Becker is just too much.

And if I remember correctly, the solo in Erotomania is Petrucci's fastest, no?

I don't like Petrucci's shredding for some reason, I much prefer stuff like the Another Day solo, beautiful.

Hello there

Has anyone of yuo heard of Michael Romeo ( Symphony X ) or Herman Li and Sam Totman ( both Dragonforce ) ?? I think they´re pretty fast, too and they´re still trying to keep melodies, especially Michael Romeo......
    I only can recommend to listen to `em, I like those Bands....... even it´s metal
    ..... enough for my first thread

MfG

SE

Under A Glass Moon

The fastest part of a song I've ever heard is in the "Under a Glass Moon" solo. Petrucci sweeps nine 32nd notes in the time of eight at 144 BPM!!!!! (BTW - He edited the transcription himself!)

In terms of alternate picking, it's Petrucci or Romeo IMHO (possibly a fact.)

And for tapping, Petrucci conquerored 32nds at 144.

These are the fastest that I've heard.

Hi

I agree with SE ' em all that Michael Romeo, Li and Totman are very fast . But there are so many guitar players out there who are very fast like Steve Vai, Tony MacAlpine, Petrucci, Yngwie... Can anybody give me a HP of Marcus Paus ? Thanx

KAYA BG

Petrucci is definitly fast, but there is no way he's the fastest. Besides, he's gotten faster over the years, as I am is definitly faster than his early stuff, even though I think its a pretty bad solo...his stuff on IAW was wonderful though, I agree, I think they've gotten to experimental and heavy now, to the point the melody is lost, especially with the keyboards. Moore used to just lay down a nice background and do some nice solo's/harmony...now the keyboard seems to do its own thing alot of the time and go way out there, and Petrucci does like a nice sounding lick strung together with 200 alternate picked meaningless notes. Thats just my opinion anyways...but back to the topic!

Once you reach a certain point, or speed (i think MAB calls this the 'ridiculous zone') its pointless to get faster. Notes become a blur, and sound like nothing but clicking because of the string being hit much more than the notes ringing out. I stopped caring about 'fastest' a long time ago, now its just 'fast', and theres a ton of great players out there who can play fast. Simply put , it's incredibly difficult to differentiate players on speed alone, I could listen to Paul Gilbert, then Micheal Angelo, and then Jason Becker or something, and wouldn't be able to tell who's the fastest. If one is a few notches higher on the metronome, it makes no difference to me.

i have never heard any of these guys songs, anyone wanna point me in the right direction? Cd or song wise i am getting into shred tho at the moment its sloppy... but i would like to see/hear some of the gods at work...
    ~ Chris ~
    ~ Boselecta242@hotmail.com ~
    (have msn messaanger :P add me! lets chat!)